DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  Total interface utilization (Performance Management)

Posted Jul 14, 2019 11:56 PM

How can I get the total data transferred over a link?

I want to be able to see how many megabytes of traffic have passed up and down. I can see there is Interface Utilization in Kb/sec or Mb/sec but is there a metric that will calculate how much data total has passed in X time period?

PM 3.6

------------------------------
    Matt
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Total interface utilization (Performance Management)

Posted Jul 15, 2019 07:53 AM
    Hi,

Maybe Bits - Total or Bytes - total metric field, no? 
    With that you have the Sum of Bits in with Bits out. 

BR,
    Pedro Lourenço

• 3.  RE: Total interface utilization (Performance Management)

Posted Jul 15, 2019 07:34 PM
    Wouldnt that give me bits or bytes in between polls, rather then the total over a period of time? Or would this be better calculated in NFA?

• 4.  RE: Total interface utilization (Performance Management)
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 16, 2019 05:31 AM
    Hi,

You should always check the Vendor Certification for that device and see what PM is doing with the value acquired from the OID.
    If for that Attribute you have <NeedsDelta>true</NeedsDelta> I think that is working as you want.
    • NeedsDelta
      (Optional) Uses a flag to indicate whether to delta (that is, store the difference between current and last poll for Counters) the MIB variable.
      Default: false
      Recommendation: Set to true if the variable is defined as a Counter, Counter32, Counter64, or TimeTicks quantity in the MIB.
      Possible values: true, false
      Effect of updating: The polled data changes.
      When does the update take effect: Next poll

Almost all devices on my network are using  Vendor Certefication "High Speed Interface" on that case I think you can use this way to get what you want:

If you have polling of 5min and resolution of 5min you will have the value between polls, the exact value of bits that  has passed through that interface on that 5min:

Always pay attention on this on the graphics:

If you have 1hour resolution or more, the values will be aggregated values, in this case will be the sum of all values acquired for that 1hour and you don't want that, I think so :)

BR,
    Pedro Lourenço

• 5.  RE: Total interface utilization (Performance Management)

Posted Jul 18, 2019 08:41 PM
    Thanks Pedro. Looks like that's where I need to look.

cheers

Matt