DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  Latest Robot installer with HF9 location

Posted Feb 25, 2020 12:07 PM
    So where can I get the base Windows Robot installer that is the latest robot version with the hot fix 9 included?
    I need to share this installer with our clients who use the scripted robot installer for their citrix golden image setup. I want to have them install the latest so I don't then have to go and re-update all robots with the HF9.

I already looked on my Primary Hub's \Nimsoft\install\setup directory but that has the base 9.20 robot installer. I updated out Primary Hub to 9.20HF9 as well. 

------------------------------
    Daniel Blanco
    Enterprise Tools Team Architect
    DBlanco@alphaserveit.com

• 2.  RE: Latest Robot installer with HF9 location
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 25, 2020 12:27 PM
    Dev has never put robot or hub hotfix's in full installers.
    The next ga release will have all the HF's in them. 
    This is planned  for late March early  April

Gene Howard
    Principal Support Engineer
    Broadcom

• 3.  RE: Latest Robot installer with HF9 location

Posted Feb 25, 2020 02:50 PM
    And my understanding is that all the base windows installers that include the vs2017 libraries are still missing the /noreboot flag on the install of those libraries correct? 

Is it a valid expectation that the installers released in March/April will be corrected and not have this undesirable behavior?

And also, just to voice a huge frustration with the software packaging, can these installers be released separate from the core product? It is frustrating to have to download a couple GB of install file, create a server to install the software on, take 90 minutes to run the installer, hope it executed far enough to extract the couple infrastructure installers and then copy them from there. It was so much nicer to have the simple old web page with the list of important links on it rather than the mess of the current download page and process.

And maybe releasing the software in something other than an iso format?

• 4.  RE: Latest Robot installer with HF9 location

Posted Feb 25, 2020 03:17 PM
    ^+10000
    The new support way to obtain any of these installers is stupid.

I need just access to the 3 files: The hub installer, the robot installer and or the Infrastructure Manager installer. These 3 files in 9.20 are 172MB.
    I also need direct links to them off the broadcom site so I can hop onto a box, download what I need off the web install and move on.

The new way by having to log into support site, download a 15GB ISO then having to un-zip it is a huge PITA.

Daniel Blanco
    Enterprise Tools Team Architect
    DBlanco@alphaserveit.com

• 5.  RE: Latest Robot installer with HF9 location

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 26, 2020 09:01 AM
    HI Daniel,

I do not see this changing.
    I know other clients have set up their own websites with a download locations for the installers.
    You might consider doing that to meet this business need of yours.

Gene Howard
    Broadcom

• 6.  RE: Latest Robot installer with HF9 location

Posted Feb 26, 2020 10:49 AM
    But isn't the customer always right?

Why can't Broadcom create an "infrastructure installer only" package? It doesn't seem like too much of a task.

So, just to sample the forum users, who here likes the current distribution method? Specifically the one Daniel mentions?

And if you do like it, why is it better than the old method of providing links to current versions of pieces of the software that are constantly needed?

• 7.  RE: Latest Robot installer with HF9 location

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 26, 2020 12:33 PM
    @Garin Walsh, I would say so and I think most is support would say so, BUT Support NOR I have the control over this function.
    You might want to bring this up to your Sales/ account managers.

Gene Howard
    Broadcom

• 8.  RE: Latest Robot installer with HF9 location

Posted Feb 26, 2020 01:15 PM
    I don't hold support at all accountable for this - you are though a Broadcom employee and one of many places to demonstrate the true customer perception of this distribution method. And as such maybe convey that feeling in a more reliable fashion into the groups that might be responsible for this. I can express this to my sales/account manager but frankly, I am unsure that they'd be able to convey the actual need successfully. And I know the Ideation thing exists but that's just a black hole for text based on my personal experience. 

So, if you are ever in a position where you could mention to one of the people that might be responsible for the current distribution method that there are at least two customers who feel strongly enough about the current deficient methodology to have a discussion about it, it would be appreciated.