DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  Monitor as Ok/normal monitoring for 401 message in nimsoft url_response probe

Posted Nov 28, 2019 04:26 AM
    Hello Broadcom Support,

I'd like to ask for your help how to monitor this 401 message in nimsoft url_response probe.
    As advised this is the expected message.
    Please see second screenshot for the expected page display when accessing the link.

So it's normal and okay if it's 401 message in url_response test_url and with below page display.

Please help and advise. Thanks!

Regards,
    Avejoy Talaugon-Jawali
    ITOC Verifone

• 2.  RE: Monitor as Ok/normal monitoring for 401 message in nimsoft url_response probe

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 28, 2019 10:44 AM
    Edited by Stephen Danseglio Nov 28, 2019 11:03 AM
    Ok, what do you want to do/how would you like to handle the 401 error? Please clarify.

If you're receiving a 401 error, you could use a nas AO profile to filter on the alarm message /.*<core_of_unique_message_string>.*/ and choose an action to create your new desired OK message alarm when the 401 is received from that website, or you could use a different probe (e2e_appmon_dev) and create a transaction scriptand handle it anyway you want.

Steve

------------------------------
    Support Engineer
    Broadcom
    US

• 3.  RE: Monitor as Ok/normal monitoring for 401 message in nimsoft url_response probe

Posted Nov 29, 2019 04:21 AM
    Thanks for your reply Stephen.
    As per customer, 401 error code is sufficient to tell us that the website is functioning properly.

With your response this means that there is no way in nimsoft URL_response to say that a 401 is OK.
    Do you have documentation to configure/monitor error code in nas?

Thank you!

• 4.  RE: Monitor as Ok/normal monitoring for 401 message in nimsoft url_response probe

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 29, 2019 11:26 AM
    I can describe what to do, but what is the exact url_response alarm message you're receiving from this site?

Support Engineer
    Broadcom
    US

• 5.  RE: Monitor as Ok/normal monitoring for 401 message in nimsoft url_response probe

Posted Nov 29, 2019 11:57 AM
    I have investigated this for another customer before. the best method I found was to configure an alarm override in the url_response probe for the connection failed alarm. I created a new alarm message in the message pool copying the original one but changing the severity to informational so that it doesn't trigger any other unwanted actions. Then, configure an AO profile that will match on the informational severity and the url_response probe. The profile executes a LUA script where the alarm message string is parsed and the error code extracted. You can evaluate the error code in the script to decide what to do with it. for example, if the error code is 401, you can close the alarm. If it is a 404 error code then you can use action.escalate function to change the severity of the alarm so other actions can be triggered.

[Designation]
    [City]

• 6.  RE: Monitor as Ok/normal monitoring for 401 message in nimsoft url_response probe

Posted Nov 29, 2019 11:48 AM
    Edited by Siddharth Rai Nov 29, 2019 12:35 PM
    you can use logmon for monitoring particular error code and getting alarms when are found in a web page or create an AO in nas for 401

• 7.  RE: Monitor as Ok/normal monitoring for 401 message in nimsoft url_response probe

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 29, 2019 02:31 PM
    Lots of good options...

Support Engineer
    Broadcom
    US

• 8.  RE: Monitor as Ok/normal monitoring for 401 message in nimsoft url_response probe

Posted Dec 01, 2019 08:40 PM
    They aren't good options, they are work-arounds. A good option would be the url_response probe allowing the 401 error being a valid response.

• 9.  RE: Monitor as Ok/normal monitoring for 401 message in nimsoft url_response probe
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 01, 2019 09:26 PM
    Hi Matthew,

I understand your point/perspective but as you know, HTTP 401 is an unauthorized error not a good return/outcome. In any case, you can enter an Idea (enhancement request) for it to be added to the url_response probe in a future release:

https://community.broadcom.com/participate/ideation-home?IdeationConfigurationKey=275c031b-44b4-489f-91c7-0c83235f2d8c
    Choose Category: DX Infrastructure Management

Also, you can speak to your Account team on expediting such an effort if there is a strong business impact/case.

I would suggest using the e2e_appmon probe to script (record) a web transaction. Then you can handle the 401 error or any other error any way you want.

Regards,
    Steve

Support Engineer
    Broadcom
    US