DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  top process alarms

Posted Jul 16, 2019 03:18 AM

What I am expecting is , total cpu is 93.75 % ----- that means all the top processes cpu if we add means it should not cross 93.75% right ?  but we are not getting the values like that . so please provide me the reason / some understanding on this to rectify this if possible .

Message              : Total cpu on chclprimdnap01 is now 93.75%, which is above the error threshold (90%).Top Processes [grep[40479]-(100.00%)];[perl[36432]-(78.40%)];[perl[35909]-(75.10%)];[perl[36273]-(74.40%)];[perl[37631]-(71.30%)]

Time                      : 07/15/19 23:58:16

• 2.  RE: top process alarms
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 16, 2019 03:26 AM
    Hi 

Top CPU consuming processes in alarm: specifies the number of top CPU consuming processes that are included in CPU usage alarms.
    Default: 5
    Consider the following points while using this option:
    This alarm is generated when the defined total CPU usage is breached. The new alarms generate the process information in the following format:
    [processname[pid]-cpu%]; [processname[pid]-cpu%]

The actual CPU value in the alarm may not always match the total percentage of all the top CPU consuming processes shown in the alarm message.
    It may vary as Total CPU Usage is calculated on the basis of samples. The probe retrieves the raw data at a given time and displays in the alarm.

For non-Windows platform, the probe uses ps command to retrieve the top CPU consuming processes.

Depending on your environment, the values achieved (%) can be over 100%. For example, the monitoring environment includes the 56-core system using hyper-threading. In this case, the number of virtual cores, because of hyper-threading (more than 1 thread per core), becomes twice that value (2 threads per core). If the user has up to 112 virtual cores (112 = 56*2), the maximum possible value (%) from Top CPU consuming processes can be 11200% (112 virtual cores * 100).
    This explains why a user may see CPU consuming values over 100% or 1000% or 5000%.

https://docops.ca.com/ca-unified-infrastructure-management-probes/ga/en/alphabetical-probe-articles/cdm-cpu-disk-memory-performance-monitoring/cdm-im-configuration

• 3.  RE: top process alarms

Posted Aug 13, 2019 05:37 AM
    Hi ,

Where can I see this cores configuration in cdm probe so that I can cross verify !!! Please let me know how to check this core related configuration .

Depending on your environment, the values achieved (%) can be over 100%. For example, the monitoring environment includes the 56-core system using hyper-threading. In this case, the number of virtual cores, because of hyper-threading (more than 1 thread per core), becomes twice that value (2 threads per core). If the user has up to 112 virtual cores (112 = 56*2), the maximum possible value (%) from Top CPU consuming processes can be 11200% (112 virtual cores * 100).
    This explains why a user may see CPU consuming values over 100% or 1000% or 5000%.

• 4.  RE: top process alarms

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 13, 2019 06:28 AM
    Checking the number of cores on a system:

Windows

Check number of CPU cores using the Windows performance monitor->Resource monitor or run the command:

wmic cpu get NumberOfCores, NumberOfLogicalProcessors/Format:List

LINUX/UNIX

See sample commands below that identify how many processors are on a Linux machine.

cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep -i cpu  | grep MHz | wc –l

cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep processor

- on cdm probe u can check the multi-cpu tab#

• 5.  RE: top process alarms

Posted Aug 13, 2019 07:28 AM
    Hi ,

Please let me know this . As shown in below screenshot , multicpu alarm is enabled in IM and how this is going to affect the top process alarm . Will that affect top process alarm ?? Please explain .

• 6.  RE: top process alarms

Posted Aug 13, 2019 07:31 AM
    And also if I remove alarm on multi cpu will my process alarm percentages come correctly ??