DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  What is the maximum string size in the "Massage to Send on Match" field of the logmon probe?

Posted Sep 28, 2020 10:39 AM
    What is the maximum string size in the "Massage to Send on Match" field of the logmon probe?
    I created a script that reads a jason and returns a string with a list of components that are in error. But I need to know the limit on the length of the string that will be displayed in the message text.
    Logmon configuration Message to send on match

• 2.  RE: What is the maximum string size in the "Massage to Send on Match" field of the logmon probe?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 28, 2020 10:53 AM

this probably is governed by the Alarm message itself which is 4000 characters I believe.
    UIM alarm message limits (Knowledge Base Articles - 128273)

https://ca-broadcom.wolkenservicedesk.com/external/article?articleId=128273

------------------------------
    Gene Howard
    Principal Support Engineer
    Broadcom
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: What is the maximum string size in the "Massage to Send on Match" field of the logmon probe?

Posted Sep 28, 2020 11:04 AM
    There are a lot of different answers to this but to run down the list that immediately come to mind:

In a cfg file you have a line length limit of 512 characters so any pattern/string of text that's read from the configuration can't be longer than that.

Logmon when creating the alarm will create a PDS structure using that config - I presume that you are using variable substitution and so the resulting line can be much longer than the limits in the cfg. I know of no limits in logmon itself for constructing the message related to length.

The PDS structure imposes no limits I am aware of in the length of a string - I have created PDS objects with strings of several megabytes in length with no apparent issues. Doesn't mean that there weren't any, just that none were detected.

That PDS will be read by alarm enrichment and reposted as a new PDS with whatever changes alarm enrichment decided to do - it's possible that alarm enrichment might influence the length of the message field but only if you have coded that which from the question I can probably guess that you have not.

Then nas reads that PDS and runs any preprocessor scripts you have - these again might impose limits on the message field - I personally do this because is you use the emailgw probe and the templates that take the $message field and use that in the email subject, SMTP imposes a 200 character limit on the subject - so I have to truncate the message field to something reasonable after saving the full message in one of the $custom fields.

Then this data is written to the local nas tables - this is a SQLite database and uses a varchar(4000) field to store the message.

AO profiles are then fired on this message and potentially these will generate changes that will cause the message to be shortened. Again depends on your code.

And if you have the nis bridge enabled, this data will be copied to that database destination. Again this is usually a varchar(4000) field but it's dependent on the database. For instance if you have a maximum database page size to deal with, you might have a varchar(4000) field but only space to store a couple hundred characters before reaching the total row limit. Depends on your database.

So, not knowing anything specific about your environment, 4000 is the answer.

• 4.  RE: What is the maximum string size in the "Massage to Send on Match" field of the logmon probe?
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 28, 2020 02:30 PM
    The maximum number of characters in the "Message" field of the nimsoft alarm is 1300. It was very manual work, but I was able to confirm it. When displaying the alarm on the Nimsoft console, only 1260 characters are displayed in the "Message" field, but if you copy the line and paste it into any text editor, you will see the rest of the characters in the "Message" field.
    Thank you all.

• 5.  RE: What is the maximum string size in the "Massage to Send on Match" field of the logmon probe?

Posted Sep 29, 2020 11:06 AM
    What you have confirmed is that the console truncates the message. If that was your intent then you are correct. If you look at the message at other places in the flow it will have different lengths, potentially much longer.