DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  CA UIM - Decom steps

Posted Apr 17, 2018 04:55 AM

Hi,

I have to work further around the subject of deleting completely a UIM Robot / Network device. I Want to review this with the product and/or the community expert(s). 

Let's take a look on my little steps board: 

UIM Decom steps (one per one entry)

1. What's the entry ?
    ---
    A) An UIM agent (a robot)
        A.1 - Get the robot rows (stored on the SQL `cm_computer_system` table)
        A.2 - Send the callback `remove_master_devices_by_cskeys` with the robot
       `cs_key` retrieved on the A.1 step to the discovery_server probe where
        the script (have) to be executed.
        A.3 - Remove agent from hub with the callback `removerobot`

B) A Network device
        B.1 - Identify the type and the source of this device (snmpcollector etc..)
        B.2 - Remove the device from collectors

C) Something else ?
    ---
    2. Remove open & history of alarms from SQL `nas_transaction_log` & `nas_transaction_summary` tables.
    3. Delete QoS data
        3.1 (opt) - Delete related MCS/SSR QoS.
    4. Deleting device from NAS address table ?

I have some questions around my simple steps list: 

- Do we have a way to get a cs_key without getting any access to the database ?

- Does A.1 and A.2 apply for answer B?

-  Most of the time we link "Equipment decom" with a complete deletion of alarms history (why ?). I ask my self about only closing active alarms with some NAS callbacks ! (Let me know yours opinions around this subject).

For you chrlu01 : On your perl CLI Script you have the step number four (deleting device from NAS address table). Can you explain to me the goal of this ? (I'm open to any NAS ressources around this).

chrlu01 Christophe_Sperandio

Any feedbacks are welcome   (And let me know if i missed something).

Best Regards,

Thomas

• 2.  Re: CA UIM - Decom steps

Posted Apr 17, 2018 05:18 AM

Hi Thomas,

- step 4 (delete in nas table) is in the latest version(s) by default at "n".  If you look in the nas with the callback: nameservices_list and you see the amount of data that is there + the same work the nas is doing in a trace I had the idea to remove the device also in that table to make his (=nas) work lighter.

- until now I didn't see or find a way to obtain the cs-id that via sql query

I have almost 2 updates for this script ready (waiting doc update  )

- remove all cs_id's for the requested device

- probe that will accept a simple nimalarm to decommission a device (example: nimalarm -l 1 "decom device_name")

Regards, Luc

• 3.  Re: CA UIM - Decom steps

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 17, 2018 06:47 AM

• 4.  Re: CA UIM - Decom steps

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 17, 2018 08:10 AM

Hi guys, this only half helps but you can get the cs_id for devices in UMP by Exporting Inventory in UMP.

Go to inventory in USM and select your devices and go to actions/export inventory.

Gives a csv file with cs_id as the last column.

This used to contain the cs_key but for some reason they changed it to cs_id a few versions ago.

cheers

• 5.  Re: CA UIM - Decom steps

Posted Apr 18, 2018 10:27 AM

Hi,

Thank you for all your feedback ! Most of my questions around design has been answered and i'm now working on my own CLI.

I will have to take a look on how decom Network device on snmpcollector (But my brother should be capable to answer on this part, so i will see with him).

GitHub - UIM-Community/DecoCLI: CA UIM - Agent/Device decomission CLI tool 

I will back to the community when I would have finished (and tested by my customer).

Best Regards,

Thomas

• 6.  Re: CA UIM - Decom steps

Posted Apr 20, 2018 05:59 AM

I see I'm coming late! (sorry I was travelling... ) I see my colleagues already took over, great!

I'll follow that project, and if you want more information, feel free to ping me!

• 7.  Re: CA UIM - Decom steps

Posted Apr 20, 2018 10:54 AM

Hi Christophe,

No problem  ! 

I have almost finished (my github readme has been updated with all options etc..). But I can surely still improve the code before making a first release. ( i can push decocli.pl under 300 lines of code ).

I only have MySQL so i can't test on MSSQL and Oracle (but the SQL part is separated in src/uimdb.pm).

I may have missed some features but I think it's not critical at this point  

Thomas,