DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

is the Hitachi Command Suite a requirement to be installed on the robot that the probe will be sitting on?

• 1.  is the Hitachi Command Suite a requirement to be installed on the robot that the probe will be sitting on?

Posted Apr 23, 2018 01:17 PM

I see the following in the pre-configuration, I am just looking for clarification is the device manager required or the Command suite itself?

The hitachi probe requires: 

• Hitachi Storage System USP-V, USP-VM, AMS, VSP, or HUS series.
    • SMI-S Provider: The SMI-S Provider service is supplied with the Device Manager software from Hitachi with the Hitachi Command Suite 7 and later.

• 2.  Re: is the Hitachi Command Suite a requirement to be installed on the robot that the probe will be sitting on?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 23, 2018 07:30 PM

As far as I Know, Device Manager Suite(Hitachi Command 7) is required for Hitachi probe to work. 

• 3.  Re: is the Hitachi Command Suite a requirement to be installed on the robot that the probe will be sitting on?

Posted Apr 24, 2018 07:17 AM

When I add our hitachi IP/hostname to the probe and test I get a response that says the "hostname" is responding. It than adds the device with a green check mark after I hit save and it goes through data collection.

I then go into the admin console and hit configure on the hitachi probe. It opens and than I try to drill down into the device but all I see is the detached configuration folder with nothing in it.

It does not show me any of the arrays or Luns or anything. Any idea what could cause this? We have given the user the proper rights that the documentation stated it needed.

Not sure what's up?

• 4.  Re: is the Hitachi Command Suite a requirement to be installed on the robot that the probe will be sitting on?

• 5.  Re: is the Hitachi Command Suite a requirement to be installed on the robot that the probe will be sitting on?

Posted Apr 24, 2018 08:37 AM

It seems that first the IM console was used to configure the probe and then the Admin Console. Not sure if that works, in general development requests one or the other to be used and not both. If the desire is to use the Admin Console, delete the probe & folder, redeploy, and configure and test via the Admin Console.

• 6.  Re: is the Hitachi Command Suite a requirement to be installed on the robot that the probe will be sitting on?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 24, 2018 09:54 AM

I have used the Hitachi probe and had to get the storage engineers to install the SMI-S software as it is an option.

Also you must enable statistics reporting on the Hitachi array to receive data for performance metrics from the Hitachi system. Statistics reporting affects performance metrics for array, LUN, and port.

If the statistics reporting is not enabled for the Hitachi array, the probe does not show the metrics in the GUI.

• 7.  Re: is the Hitachi Command Suite a requirement to be installed on the robot that the probe will be sitting on?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 14, 2019 09:56 AM

Hi Rowan, 

just to clarify, the SMI-S software has to be installed on the server (robot), where the Hitachi probe is deployed?

Cheers

Mike

• 8.  Re: is the Hitachi Command Suite a requirement to be installed on the robot that the probe will be sitting on?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 22, 2019 11:17 AM

No, it doesn't need to be on the robot but the port 5989 needs to be open to connect to SMI-S on the storage array

• 9.  Re: is the Hitachi Command Suite a requirement to be installed on the robot that the probe will be sitting on?
    Best Answer

Posted May 02, 2018 08:29 AM

Thanks for the help all. It seems the issue ended up being with the probe. Support provided me a patched/updated probe and that seems to be working now.