DX Infrastructure Management

Expand all | Collapse all

*** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Jump to Best Answer

praveen V11-08-2018 08:14 AM

• 1.  *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 11-07-2018 04:23 PM

So I figured I'd start a new UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas thread as the other one has 11 pages so far. 

Just so we can all track known bugs and defects since the Announcements page is not used on the old support site still. 

If you find any 9.x related bugs, defects, gotchas, tips please share in this thread so we can all be in the know.

If you have questions then please start a new thread and just this thread for sharing discovered bugs/issues with 9.x.

Thank you.

• 2.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 11-08-2018 08:14 AM

11 pages ...looks strange to hear this.

• 3.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 11-08-2018 09:46 AM

When deploying the latest processes probe, the new VC 2017 libraries are pushed.

When that occurred the following happened:

The process C:\Program Files (x86)\Nimsoft\vs2017_vcredist_x64\vs2017_vcredist_x64.exe (XXXXXXXDB01) has initiated the restart of computer XXXXXXXXDB01 on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: Application: Installation (Planned)
    Reason Code: 0x80040002
    Shutdown Type: restart

So, with the newly installed processes probe you get an immediate test of the "check for down processes" monitors. Oh, and if you have SLAs to deal with, you also get conference calls and upset customers.

Ugh - this is just too silly

So beware - you might get bit.

• 4.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 11-08-2018 10:03 AM

Wow so this is the same situation that happened when they started using, upgraded to the 2010 Visual Studio 2010 SP1 Re-Distributables. I updated a processes probe and later on got a call asking why the primary Exchange server rebooted. It was b/c the vs2010_redisk_x64 package. It will cause your OS to initiate a reboot.

UIM just doesn't learn. They need to add the /norestart  option to the Miscellaneous tab arguments to this package or your going to get un-expected reboots.

This is the 2010 SP1 packaged v1.01 fixed:

This is the current vs2017_vcredist_x64 GA 1.0 package: MISSING THE /NORESTART

CA UIM dev folks you better UPDATE ASAP....

• 5.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 11-08-2018 10:21 AM

Thanks for this info Daniel!  I came here to post this workaround but you're way ahead of me I see!

I've filed a defect at high priority for the development team to address this ASAP.

• 6.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 11-09-2018 06:29 AM

Hello All,

A KB article is created to remediate this problem - Windows OS reboot after probe deployment - CA Knowledge 

• 7.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 11-09-2018 08:29 AM

i hope this issue came earlier with cdm probe , not sure why the same issue came with other probes now ,seems to be there is some lack.

Upgrading cdm probe to version 5.70 or later may c - CA Knowledge 

• 8.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 11-09-2018 07:24 AM

There are new VS2017 packages for both x86 and x64. version 1.01 which addresses this.

Please remove the original packages from the archive, download and import the new ones to avoid this issue.

See https://comm.support.ca.com/kb/windows-os-reboot-after-probe-deployment/kb000120656

Regards

Rich

• 9.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 11-08-2018 10:16 AM

Terrifying - but at least the solution is readily available and there's no need for a level 5 log of the failure....

• 10.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 11-14-2018 04:15 AM

Seems to be some defect in ems 10.20. When there is HA probe running on HA hub, the ems is not able to start at all on primary server. Shutting down HA probe and ems runs nice.

• 11.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 11-14-2018 08:41 AM

Wow! It's worked!

How strange! Thank you so much for this tip.

Cheers,

Sam

• 12.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 11-15-2018 04:53 AM

Looks like new HA (v1.46) probe has been released now, and that should work with current ems version also.

• 13.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 11-16-2018 05:34 PM

I upgraded to HA 1.46 but the EMS probe still doesn't play if the HA probe is active.  Works fine if HA is deactivated though, just need to enable after EMS.

• 14.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 04-12-2019 10:50 AM

Hi!

I still have an issue with EMS not starting - Max Restarts reached error.

This happens immediately if I have the HA probe (v1.46) deactivated, and the EMS probe fails to find an address and constantly restarts with a different PID until it errors with a Max restarts reached error.

Any ideas anyone?

• 15.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 04-15-2019 01:51 AM

Have you put ems probe in under HA probe configuration ?

• 16.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 04-15-2019 10:32 AM

Hi,

No, I just connected it up to the right system, I'll try adding it in.

• 17.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 04-15-2019 10:43 AM

As a test, I've removed all HA probes from the envionment and the EMS probe still fails to load..

• 18.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 04-15-2019 10:47 AM

Also tried the following but it didn't work

deactivate the ems probe rename the ems\db folder redeploy the ems probe activate the ems probe

• 19.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 04-15-2019 11:09 AM

Please open a support case.

• 20.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 11-14-2018 09:30 AM

Kind of Gotcha, works as designed, but good to know.

When using Operator Console for setting alarming rules, please note that those rules are totally separated from those settings that you create with MCS. When using MCS, you actually configure each probe's config file as you have always done (well, except when using admin console and bulk mode) but when using Operator Console you actually start using the new concept for threshold settings, these setting go to spooler.cfg and spooler probe is then actually the one who launches the alarm, original probe (like cdm) is that getting the QOS data from the system. So you probably end getting alarms from both systems.

So keep in mind that. I think that is not too well explained in documentation. This was the thing I was asking in wrong place here earlier.

And yes, I really like that new interface for alarming rules. And miss the monitoring setup part (the one that we still have to use USM+MCS) that was in SaaS version's HTML5 interface.

And one additional nice thing is that when you set up monitoring rules in Operator Console, then those settings are also captured in audit log, at least that someone has changed thresholds.

• 21.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 11-14-2018 10:28 AM

Operator Console? Where do I find that? There's nothing new appearing in my Actions drop down.

But I do have 3 probes failing to start..could be to do with that maybe:

fault_correleation_engine
    mon_config_service
    relationship_services

• 22.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 11-15-2018 03:06 AM

Operator Console is from the Actions drop down menu, if you have ACL Operator Console Basic enabled for your user.

• 23.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 11-15-2018 07:00 AM

Ah interesting! I do have those permissions but nothing is appearing.  Perhaps it's due to the probes that are currently refusing to load due to "Max restarts"

• 24.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 11-15-2018 07:07 AM

I've managed to get these probes running (they hadn't upgraded during install) - but still missing this new Operator Console..

• 25.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 11-20-2018 10:09 PM

Hi 

Do you have the ump_operatorconsole webapp deployed on ump server

Please also check if CABI is installed as operator console has dependency for dashboards in CABI
    Dashboards in Operator Console (including the Home (Home View Icon) view) require installation of CA Business Intelligence (CABI) JasperReports Server to view graphical presentation of data on groups and alarms

• 26.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 11-21-2018 06:43 PM

Gotcha, thanks Franklin.

I deployed ump_operatorconsole but didn't realise CABI was a pre-req.

I'll get it installed

• 27.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 02-07-2019 11:09 AM

Has anyone else gotten a fix for this. We have CABI installed and we installed the Operators_Console on the UMP and when we log into the UMP and choose the Actions Dropdown in the USM there is no choice for Operators_Console. Also when looking through the ACLs I do not even see an option to pick Operator Console Basic enabled. Any ideas?

• 28.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 02-07-2019 11:53 AM

Hi Robert,

I had the same problem and raised a ticket with support.  Unfortunately we got so far through troubleshooting it and then I got carried away with my day to day business duties so the case was closed due to lack of response, but, whatever we did through the troubleshooting fixed the issue!

I've just looked up the closed tickets and here are some tips:

• Is it possible for you from browser run manually /operatorconsole_portlet/overview and check if you are able to visualize the functionalities
    • Please could you run this command from the UPM server robot Login into the UMP 9.0.2 page and in the browser, please run /usm/jsp/diag.jsp
    • Regarding the CABI entry, please consider the documentation and prerequisites. https://docops.ca.com/ca-unified-infrastructure-management/9-0-2/en/configuring-and-viewing-monitoring-data/operator-console-functions#OperatorConsoleFunctions-Prerequisites Dashboards in Operator Console (including the Home (Home View Icon) view) require installation of CA Business Intelligence (CABI) JasperReports Server to view graphical presentation of data on groups and alarms. For instructions on installing CABI, see CA Business Intelligence with CA UIM. Also, can you please ensure that ump_operatorconsole webapp deployed on UMP server

The above notes are from the ticket I raised, it may help you.  Something we did made the operator console button appear, but I'm not sure what.

Hope it helps,

Sam

• 29.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 02-08-2019 07:53 AM

So I was able to get the Operators Console ACL to show up by performing an update to the ACL list in the IM (suggested by support). However when I open the operators console this is what I see, and if I try to open any of the dashboards this is what I see.

If I click any of the dashboards I see that as well. However if I go into CABi itself and click on a dashboard the dashboard loads in CABi. So Little bit of progress but now no dashboards are views in the Operators console.

• 30.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 02-08-2019 07:57 AM

Ah ok, nice tip!

You've got further than I have.

I've been asked to uninstall Cabi and try a reinstall.  Keep me posted on how you get on.  Always good to learn from others!

I'll do the same.

Cheers!

• 31.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 04-15-2019 02:18 PM

So I just went thru a cabi worst case scenario last week in my lab but basically upgraded from 8.51 cabi 3.20 to the latest 9.02 UMP then tried applying the UMP HF2 zip #2 contains the newest cabi 3.40 version. It did not work. No matter what I did the bundled cabi robot I had running both the cabi & wasp probe were broken after trying to apply the HF2. In the end I followed this page and blew away both the CABI probe and the wasp probe on the dedicated robot that is for running CABI.

So the clean up and re-install KB page here was very helpful:

https://comm.support.ca.com/kb/ca-uim-cabi-how-to-uninstall-reinstall-bundled-cabi/KB000097227

You can follow this page for 9.02 cabi clean up as well. 

I hit issues also trying to re-install on my cleaned up robot. I had to try 3x before it worked correctly. Each time the robot was in the same clean state but on the 3rd time it finally deployed nicely. The 1st two tries the wasp probe would not start and if that happens cabi won't install. 

So finally running cabi 3.40 which is part of the HF2 zip file...

• 32.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 11-29-2018 03:28 PM

Not specifically a 9.0 defect but one of the pushes in 9.0 is to move to the latest VS 2017 runtimes.

One of the nifty features of that is that the vs2017_vcredist_x64/32 package failed to include the /norestart option so if you deployed this package, you were at significant risk of it rebooting the system being deployed to.

CA then releases version 1.01 which fixes that defect. 

Problem is this:

Handily, the cdm package forces the selection of the version 1.00 package. 

So if you just downloaded the fixed package and then imported it assuming that the latest version would be used, you would be sorely mistaken. And you'd still be rebooting servers randomly as you deployed CDM.

And if you deleted the old version, like you should have, then the CDM package is broken. The equality requirement can't be satisfied.

The fix is obvious, just change the dependance to ge instead of eq but this should never have gotten out the door in the first place.

Ugh. CA, you need to do better than this.

• 33.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 11-30-2018 12:50 AM

Hi, Garin.

We do apologize for this. Yes definitely we agree that we should have done better.

We are aware of this issue and today we detected 2 probes still refers to 1.00 (with eq)

Cdm 6.33

Robot 7.96 (come only with 9.0.2 install)

We plan to replace those archives not let happen unwanted OS reboot.

• 34.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 11-30-2018 01:52 AM

So Here is quick action list

1. MUST DELETE the following packages from archive

(*) Mandatory for all UIM 9.0.2 users and UIM 8.X users those who imported these packages already.

vs2017_vcredist_x86 version 1.00

vs2017_vcredist_x64 version 1.00

1. MUST DOWNLOAD the following packages (Available in http://support.nimsoft.com) and import them.

(*) Mandatory for all UIM users.

vs2017_vcredist_x86 version 1.01

vs2017_vcredist_x64 version 1.01

1. In archive GUI, double click cdm 6.33.

(*) Mandatory for all UIM 9.0.2 users and UIM 8.X users those who imported these packages already.

[win64] - [Dependencies]. Double click vs2017_vcredist_x64. Change [dependency type] from [eq] to [ge]. Press OK

[win32] - [Dependencies]. Double click vs2017_vcredist_x86. Change [dependency type] from [eq] to [ge]. Press OK

1. In archive GUI, double click robot_update 7.96

(*) Mandatory for all UIM 9.0.2 users only.

[win64] - [Dependencies]. Double click vs2017_vcredist_x86. Change [dependency type] from [eq] to [ge]. Press OK

[win32] - [Dependencies]. Double click vs2017_vcredist_x86. Change [dependency type] from [eq] to [ge]. Press OK

• 35.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

• 36.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 12-13-2018 08:03 AM

Follow up.

Recently we issued 

- cdm 6.34

- robot 7.97

VS2017 dependency of those have been modified with "ge", so it works with 1.01 version of VS2017

• 37.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 04-15-2019 07:17 AM

Any probe that is getting deployed to robots through MCS profiles, which probe does MCS use to deploy? The latest one in the list or the old one which is set to default?

Thank you.

Regards,

Rajashekar

• 38.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 04-15-2019 10:24 AM

Rajashekar -

The version of the probe deployed depends on the MCS template you are creating and which ones are active in the SSRV2Template table.  The following query will identify the probe versions that the corresponding MCS templates will deploy to the robots in a monitoring group:

select templateName, probe, probeversion from SSRV2Template where production = 1;

For NULL probe versions, the latest version of the probe in the archive will be deployed.  If you have a newer version of a probe in the archive, and the active template is associated with an older version of the same probe, MCS will deploy the older version of the probe if the probe has not yet been deployed to the robots in a monitoring group.  Please also note that, by design, if you have an older or newer version of a probe deployed to a robot in a monitoring group, MCS will not update the version of the probe to match the version associated with the template created for the group.

• 39.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 12-14-2018 04:56 AM

Thank you!

I had a support case open for this

• 40.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 12-04-2018 07:49 AM

Hi there,

has anyone seen the issue that IM cannot connect to NIS-DB anymore after new installation of UIM 9.0.2. No alarms displayed in Alarm Window, no entries in Dynamic View. As far as I can figure it out, the cause is a changed secret key in the data_engine.

This changed secret key is also the reason why you cannot use older version of probes who need a direct database connection.

• 41.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 12-04-2018 02:45 PM

IM will work with the new 9.0.2 version. I had to attempt installing and removing IM a number of times before it installed and registered correctly.  

• 42.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 12-04-2018 05:56 PM

Hi Garin,

you're right about the alarm window. I made an error in IM options regarding Alarm Server. After I have fixed the error the alarm will be displayed in Alarm Window.

Regarding the database connection I still see errors in the message window:

* Error - Database error: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified
    * Error - DB operation failed
    * Warning - Unable to connect to NIS Database
    * Warning - No valid connection with NIS Database

• 43.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 12-04-2018 10:41 PM

The error is expected in UIM 9.0.2 as you understood a change in new data_engine prevent an establish connection from IM.

(IM does not embed sec key)

* Error - Database error: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified
    * Error - DB operation failed
    * Warning - Unable to connect to NIS Database
    * Warning - No valid connection with NIS Database

• 44.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 12-04-2018 10:47 PM

The only impact (IM not able to get DB connection) is that IM no longer have ability managing relation in between ACL and Account.

The same thing is possible via Account Admin portlet. So don't worry.

• 45.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 02-07-2019 01:32 PM

ntevl version 4.32 

When using regex the probe may no longer start

When using Adminconsole and you pull up the ntevl probe with default settings and than click save it corrupts regex fields by using $$regex$$ instead of /regex/

ntevl version 4.32HF1 

Fixes probe no longer able to start

There is a fix for the regex corruption I haven't tested it yet been busy.

• 46.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 05-14-2019 03:42 PM

Still using the old version 4.31 of the ntevl probe as the hotfix does not completely fix the problem when using regex.

It's indeed possible to install the hotfix but later on the probe will crash when the regex is positive.

Didn't have time yet to report the issue.

• 47.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 05-14-2019 03:47 PM

There is a fix for the hotfix we got version 4.32-T4 which resolves all the issues for ntevl

• 48.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 05-15-2019 09:48 AM

I'm interested in this Hotfix as it seems not to be available yet.

• 49.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 05-15-2019 02:01 PM

You can create a support ticket and reference this case number 01296928 which was a series of fixes . 1st we fix the regex issue than we fixed adminconsole corrupting the config file for regex and than we wen to over a few more issues utlimately we came down to the last fix which was T4 that had all the fix's we went through into a single fix .

• 50.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 03-22-2019 06:45 PM

For anyone using the action.filter command in Lua scripts, there's a bug in NAS v9.06:

action.filter query 

• 51.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 04-10-2019 12:52 PM

Just want to confirm, after folks upgraded to UIM 9.02 is the probe on the primary hub service_host not needed any longer? In my lab, this probe stopped running and doesn't want to start up any longer. The wiki says:

wasp Contains a Non-functional Key for Service-host Address

Functionality for the service_host probe has been moved to wasp, and the probe is no longer installed as part of CA UIM. An address key for the probe still exists in the ump_common section of wasp but is not functional.

So just want to confirm we don't need the service_host probe any longer after upgrading to 9.02?

And my qos_engine probe will also not start up either. Is this probe still needed after upgrading to 9.02? 

Also sharing that my old audit probe running 1.x would not start after the upgrade until I upgraded it to audit v9.04.

TIA...

• 52.  Re: *** UIM 9.x Defects/Bugs/Gotchas ***

Posted 04-10-2019 12:59 PM