DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  Follow the Sun Monitoring in UIM

Posted May 08, 2018 05:48 AM

Hi,

We've been given a requirement that CA Support seem unable to help with and was wondering if anyone in the Community had any experience of something similar.

Basically, we'd like to be able to configure something like the following...

Between the hours of 9am and 5pm all alarms that are generated in Data Center 1 are visible only in a UMP that's available to staff in Data Center 1.

Between the hours of 10am and 6pm all alarms that are generated in Data Center 2 are visible only in a UMP that's available to staff in Data Center 2.

Between the hours of 11am and 7pm all alarms that are generated in Data Center 1 are visible only in a UMP that's available to staff in Data Center 2.

Outside of each of those individual periods the alarms should also be visible in Data Center 1.

In the past using HP Openview this kind of functionality has been called Follow the Sun and I'm just wondering if there's a way of accomplishing this in UIM? As mentioned CA Support couldn't think of a way this could be achieved. If there was no other solution then we could of course do this by manually choosing different filters but the above example is extremely simplified and so I'd like to avoid that if possible. Unless of course anyone is aware of a method of automatically flipping between filters in a scheduled manner?

Many thanks.

• 2.  Re: Follow the Sun Monitoring in UIM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 08, 2018 06:18 AM

Hi Richard

Whilst you wait for additional feedback I would also recommend raising an idea to request this functionality be included in a future release.

regards

Rich

• 3.  Re: Follow the Sun Monitoring in UIM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 09, 2018 09:31 AM

it sounds something that no out-of-the-box functionalities in the tool help.

if visibility in UMP is concern, *might* be worth trying to eye developing custom dashboard.

i understood that the most challenging point (if developing dashboard) it is how to represent your criteria in dashboard.

• 4.  Re: Follow the Sun Monitoring in UIM

Posted May 09, 2018 11:13 AM

There is a "visibility" flag on the alarm.

And this flag is not replicated between nas instances. I look at that as a defect but in your case I think that you could use that to your advantage.

So how about considering that from your central nas, you replicate the alarm data to a nas that's installed on each of the two wasp/UMP servers you run the two data centers off of that local nas instead of central one.

With no other changes, each of the two UMP instances would see the same set of alarms. You could set up bi directional replication so that if closed on one nas then it would close on the others. This setup leaves some small window (on the order of seconds) where both data centers might work the same alert and there's no conflict resolution but that will always be the case with silent replication.

Now consider if you had UMP show only visible alerts. And you ran a SQL script against the alarm data to update visibility to follow your rules.

I think that you might get something that very closely approximates a built in follow the sun function.

-Garin