DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  Bulk deployment of robots to UNIX hosts

Posted May 12, 2017 10:31 AM

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out if current release of UIM (8.5) allows bulk deployment in the way we need to.

I have several questions that I can not find the answers to:

- Is it possible to deploy agents (via USM) by using a bastion host (or a DMZ Tunnel server), so that SSH commands can go through this server, until they reach the target server?

- If we need to use sudo, how does UIM run the commands, in order to install the robot? Does it issue every command by preceding them with "sudo", or does it issue a sudo command to obtain root privileges and only then issues the install commands?

- Where can we get a list of the commands that are used to install a robot, by using USM?

Thanks

• 2.  Re: Bulk deployment of robots to UNIX hosts
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 15, 2017 08:22 AM

You will need the automated_deployment_engine probe on the hub your robots are going to report into.

You can not use sudo to deploy robots just through the USM GUI via discovery.  You will need to do the xml upload and use the sudo tag in the xml file.

To my knowledge, it issues a sudo command to obtain root privileges and only then issues the install commands.  

If there is a list of commands it runs, I don't have them.

Here is the documentation on this.

Bulk Robot Deployment with an XML File - CA Unified Infrastructure Management - 8.5.1 - CA Technologies Documentation  

• 3.  Re: Bulk deployment of robots to UNIX hosts

Posted May 15, 2017 01:57 PM

Hi Jay,

I've looked at the document you sent, and there is a list of commands for Solaris, to be placed on sudoers file.

Also, for Linux, there is a reference to "sudo to perform per-command root-level operations", which indicates that the commands should be done individually (each one preceeded by sudo):

Bulk Robot Deployment with an XML File - CA Unified Infrastructure Management - 8.5 - CA Technologies

Linux

• The source and target systems must have /bin/bashssh (secure shell), and glibc. Most supported Linux distributions include bash and ssh by default; all versions include glibc by default.
    • You must have access to root or a non-administrative account that supports sudo to perform per-command, root-level operations.

Solaris

If you are using sudo, configure your Solaris system to support passwordless requests to CA UIM. To allow passwordless requests, enter the following commands in the etc/sudoer file:

Important! Ensure that you are adding the following commands to the NOPASSWD: section for your sudo user. Also, ensure that you are using the visudo command to edit the etc/sudoer file, not a text editor. 

• (root) /usr/bin/sh -c /usr/sbin/pkgadd -d /tmp/nimsoft-robot-amd64 -a /tmp/ask < /tmp/input
    • (root) /usr/bin/bash /opt/nimsoft/install/RobotConfigurer.sh
    • (root) /etc/init.d/nimbus start

However I cannot find the same list of commands to use either on Linux nor AIX.

I've seen that public key authentication (RSA) is possible, but I don't see any reference to the usage of a SSH-tunnel server . That is one of the issues I'm having on planning the deployment...

Do you have any additional info on this?

Thanks

• 4.  Re: Bulk deployment of robots to UNIX hosts

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 16, 2017 09:21 AM

This is all I have, sorry.  I would recommend contacting CA Support and putting a request at the bottom of the Documentation page to update the docs with the requested information.  

• 5.  Re: Bulk deployment of robots to UNIX hosts

Posted May 24, 2017 06:05 AM

Hi,

I've opened a case and a tech doc has been written about this:

https://www.ca.com/us/services-support/ca-support/ca-support-online/knowledge-base-articles.tec1856459.html 

These are the sudo commands used to install agents on Linux and AIX systems.