DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  Deploying robots from secondary hub, using USM

Posted Jun 02, 2017 07:34 AM

Hello,

Is there a way to deploy/install robots to remote machines, from a secondary hub, by using USM?

I'm using UIM 8.5 and I'd like to use a XML file to deploy robots, using USM.

But I'd like robots to be deployed from a secondary hub.

I know there is an option of dropping a XML file on the secondary hub. But in this case I would need to access it directly.

We would prefer to allow some users to use the USM interface, instead of giving them access to the directory on the server (probe automated_deployment_engine).

Thanks

• 2.  Re: Deploying robots from secondary hub, using USM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 02, 2017 08:54 AM

Can you explain what problem you are running into?

When using an xml file in USM the xml file has the hub IP and name in it

Bulk Robot Deployment with an XML File - CA Unified Infrastructure Management - 8.5.1 - CA Technologies Documentation 

So the robots will be deployed to the proper hub during the installation.

I do not understand what you are trying to accomplish or what problem you are running into.

• 3.  Re: Deploying robots from secondary hub, using USM

Posted Jun 02, 2017 09:37 AM

Hi,

The target machines are running Linux, so the deployment/installation of robots will be made using SSH.

The primary hub does not have connectivity with the target machines, so we need to use another Hub (that will be able to connect through SSH to the target machines), to install the robots on target machines.

So, I wanted to upload a XML file onto USM, but would like that the installation procedure to run from the secondary hub, which is the only one able to connect to target machines using SSH.

Thanks.

• 4.  Re: Deploying robots from secondary hub, using USM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 02, 2017 09:51 AM

Did you see this thread.

I think this should answer your question

ADE probe and XML deployment 

• 5.  Re: Deploying robots from secondary hub, using USM

Posted Jun 02, 2017 10:10 AM

Yes, the question is the same, only with a minor difference (see question 2.):

1) First of all, should I remove the ADE probe from the Primary Hub, so that the deployment will occur only from the Secondary Hub where ADE is installed?

2) If I want the deployment process to occur from one specific Secondary Hub (let's call it "A"), which has SSH connectivity with the target machines, but I want the to-be-installed robots to connect to another Secondary Hub (let's call it "B"), which has connectivity with target machines on ports 48000-48100, is it still possible to use USM to deploy the robots?

Thanks.

• 6.  Re: Deploying robots from secondary hub, using USM

Posted Jun 02, 2017 12:35 PM

Please let me ask you this in a different way:

When deploying robots using a XML file, does ADE check the <HUB> tag for each target machine, and if it is referring to a different Hub, then the deployment is forward to that HUB (i.e. the destination hub will need to connect to the target machine through SSH)?

Does this mean that the <HUB> tag (on the XML) is used not only to create the robot.cfg file on the target machine, but also to decide which hub is going to perform the robot installation on the target machine?

If so, it would mean that the Secondary Hub must have connectivity with the target machine on these ports:

• TCP 22 (SSH) - to allow the installation of the robot on the target machine
    • TCP 48000 - 48100 - to allow connectivity with the robot and probes

As a corollary, this would be the reason why it is not possible to use Hub "A" to deploy robots, and have them configured to connect to Hub "B".

Could you confirm this?

Thanks

• 7.  Re: Deploying robots from secondary hub, using USM
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 02, 2017 12:55 PM

My understanding of this is the following

1) the xml is set to the primary ADE on the primary UIM server.

2) the ADE reads the file and checks the hub information.

3) the ADE does a lookup to see if the connection being use is direct or via tunnel.

4) if the connection is direct it is assumed that all robots are direct as well and so the primary ADE will try and do the install.

5) if a direct connection is no in use and a tunnel is in use the ADE send the request to the ADE on the secondary hub over the tunnel and the request is sent out from the secondary ADE.

and to your question on ports what you have written is correct.

and the answer to your last question is also yes.

hope this helps

• 8.  Re: Deploying robots from secondary hub, using USM

Posted Jun 05, 2017 06:44 AM

That has been helpful.

Unfortunately, we would need additional functionality for our implementation.

I have posted an idea regarding that requirement.

Thanks.