DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  Problem with invisible alarms in Infrastructure Manager

Posted May 04, 2016 10:12 AM

For a long time we've had problems with IM. We can't see any new invisible alarms.

I use my IM directly on the UIM-server, and I connect to it with RDP. My  RDP-connection is always in idle/disconnected when I go home. I don't log off my user, only close the RDP-window, because I want to keep my session alive.

So, the problem occurs every morning when I start working, and my RDP has been disconnected since the day before. For some reason, all alarms that have been set to invisible through the pre-processing filter from NAS during the evning/night, doesn't show up until i switch back and forth from "Show invisble alarms", or if I restart my IM.

Anyone got the same issue? How can I fix this?

Will there be any updates for IM, or is everything going to the USM/UMP?

• 2.  Re: Problem with invisible alarms in Infrastructure Manager

Posted May 06, 2016 09:32 AM

I THINK this is by design.  When an alarm is altered by a pre-processing rule, NAS does not send out the alarm_new message that is picked up by the alarm console to display the message.  When an AO profile is used, NAS does send out the alarm_new which causes the message to appear in the console.

• 3.  Re: Problem with invisible alarms in Infrastructure Manager

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 18, 2016 01:41 PM

Hi,

There are no planed updates to IM. It is being replaced with USM and with the new admin_console.

• 4.  Re: Problem with invisible alarms in Infrastructure Manager

Posted May 23, 2016 06:15 AM

So that means that I should config NAS from the admin_console now?

• 5.  Re: Problem with invisible alarms in Infrastructure Manager

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 23, 2016 10:04 AM

NAS does not have an Admin Console GUI - you should continue using IM to configure NAS for the foreseeable future.  Eventually NAS will be replaced by EMS, which will be configured from the Admin Console, but there will, as far as I know, never be an Admin Console GUI for NAS.

• 6.  Re: Problem with invisible alarms in Infrastructure Manager
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 23, 2016 10:06 AM

As Gene mentions, this is by design - although many users have adopted the 'invisible' field for various internal purposes, the original intent of an invisible alarm is truly "an alarm I do not wish to see."  Therefore, invisible alarms don't update in real-time in the console the same way visible alarms do; there is a presumption (correct or not) that if an alarm is invisible, you do not consider it to be an alarm that is worth seeing.