DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  CDM - InternalAlarm: Unable to get CPU data (error)

Posted Feb 05, 2018 10:26 AM

HI there.

This question was "Answered" previously, but no aparent solution was confirmed.

We have several machines across two hubs with the same issue. The CDM log file consistantly shows:

Feb  5 15:13:51:990 [3852] cdm: GetHostInfo - unable to get system uptime
    Feb  5 15:13:53:028 [3852] cdm: ntgetuptime: Unable to get the 'System Up Time' counter of the 'System' performance object
    Feb  5 15:13:53:294 [3852] cdm: ntgetuptime: Unable to get the 'System Up Time' counter of the 'System' performance object
    Feb  5 15:13:53:559 [3852] cdm: ntgetuptime: Unable to get the 'System Up Time' counter of the 'System' performance object
    Feb  5 15:13:53:559 [3852] cdm: GetHostInfo - unable to get system uptime
    Feb  5 15:13:54:560 [3852] cdm: ntgetuptime: Unable to get the 'System Up Time' counter of the 'System' performance object
    Feb  5 15:13:54:825 [3852] cdm: ntgetuptime: Unable to get the 'System Up Time' counter of the 'System' performance object
    Feb  5 15:13:55:091 [3852] cdm: ntgetuptime: Unable to get the 'System Up Time' counter of the 'System' performance object
    Feb  5 15:13:55:091 [3852] cdm: GetHostInfo - unable to get system uptime

Etc..

Has there been any further fix information on this issue? Restarting the Robot, or the probe by itself makes no difference.

The previous fix mentioning the Performance counter reset would need the seerver to be rebooted. At this time has anyone found this to be an effective fix, or should a case be raised, as we are missing some data, and want to avoid losing much more.

All assistance is appreciated. Many thanks.

• 2.  Re: CDM - InternalAlarm: Unable to get CPU data (error)

Posted Feb 05, 2018 12:56 PM

I too have a handful of systems that exhibit this behavior and have not found the rebuild of the performance counters to be effective in correcting it.

The best that I have been able to guess at do far is that there's some aspect of the service account that is running the UIM robot that is restricted. 

Another possibility is that this is related to the apparently flawed method that UIM uses to identify the index of the relevant performance counters as exhibited in problems with the ntperf probe.

-Garin

• 3.  Re: CDM - InternalAlarm: Unable to get CPU data (error)

Posted Feb 05, 2018 05:15 PM

Try this:

Administrative prompt:

Rebuilding the counters:
         cd c:\windows\system32
         lodctr /R
         cd c:\windows\sysWOW64
         lodctr /R
    Resyncing the counters with Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI):
         WINMGMT.EXE /RESYNCPERF
    Stop and restart the Performance Logs and Alerts service. 
    Stop and restart the Windows Management Instrumentation service.

Then find the MSFT utility: exctrlst.exe

which is the diagnostic repair tool to rebuild the dll's on the target box.This page explains how to fix the Perf Dll's:

Two-Minute Drill: Disabled performance counters and Exctrlst.exe | Ask the Performance Team Blog 

You need to select the dll then un-check, check it and then stop the probe. Start the probe. This usually fixes it in my situations.. 'Usually..."

• 4.  Re: CDM - InternalAlarm: Unable to get CPU data (error)

Posted Feb 07, 2018 08:39 AM

I've not seen the exctrist.exe tool thrown into the fix before. Have to note that down for the future.

The distinction with the issues here is whether the Microsoft tools are also failing - when I've seen performance counter issues in UIM and when Perfmon has failed to display a consistent list or work correctly then the corrective steps listed are usually successful in correcting the issue.

The harder problem is when UIM is exhibiting issues with the performance counters but nothing else is. That's the scenario I find myself in maybe 95% of the time and no matter how many times the counters are rebuilt or system rebooted the correction doesn't seem to be deterministic. Sometimes it will start working after the second or third attempt. Sometimes I'll give up trying to fix and then find when going back a couple weeks later that it just started working. Sometimes it never works.  

-Garin

• 5.  Re: CDM - InternalAlarm: Unable to get CPU data (error)

Posted Feb 08, 2018 05:45 AM

Hi,

This issue should be dealt with Microsoft support. They are responsible for the WIndows conutners. 

Now to be sure the issue is with Microsoft and not the probe, can you see this metrics in Windows perfmon (outside the tool)?

Thanks

• 6.  Re: CDM - InternalAlarm: Unable to get CPU data (error)

Posted Feb 08, 2018 05:06 PM

I can't speak for  gareth.roberts but in the vast majority (98%ish) of the cases where I've seen this error, the Windows tools work without any evidence of a problem. And the corrective action that Daniel proposed is ineffective in correcting the behavior. In the small number of cases where the Windows tools are also misbehaving, the reset of the counters per Daniel's instructions has been successful in correcting the behavior of both the Windows tools as well as UIM

-Garin

• 7.  Re: CDM - InternalAlarm: Unable to get CPU data (error)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 01, 2018 03:03 PM

After rebuilding the counters in Windows, it may be necessary to redeploy the cdm probe.  That has corrected the issue a few times for me.