DX Infrastructure Manager

Expand all | Collapse all

Admin Console Custom probes no qos only alerts

• 1.  Admin Console Custom probes no qos only alerts

Posted 10-04-2016 07:01 AM

Im in the process of creating a new probe in which i wish to use the admin console GUI. the probe needs to have the ability to discover the elements from the remote device, which i already have an idea how to do but there will be no QOS generated from the probe only alarms based off test values. can i get help in how to set the probe up for this? Ive reviewed the videos and documentation but im unsure how to config the probe for no QOS.

I can provide lots more information on what im after for this if needed. 

• 2.  Re: Admin Console Custom probes no qos only alerts

Posted 10-04-2016 06:44 PM

You need to create the inventory and associate the metrics in the probe_schema.xml. There is documentation on the wiki. 

https://docops.ca.com/display/UIMPGA/Probe+Software+Developer+Kit

• 3.  Re: Admin Console Custom probes no qos only alerts

Posted 10-05-2016 06:56 AM

How do you do this when the value is text not numericial?

• 4.  Re: Admin Console Custom probes no qos only alerts

Posted 10-05-2016 09:32 AM

You cannot create QOS metrics from non-numerical data types. If you are looking to somehow store text related information and if you're looking at just alarming on those situations, you need to hard code the alarms with the NimAlarm method.

• 5.  Re: Admin Console Custom probes no qos only alerts

Posted 10-05-2016 09:44 AM

in this scenario then would it be best to use the docontinuously method and is there any documentation and examples for its use?

• 6.  Re: Admin Console Custom probes no qos only alerts

Posted 10-05-2016 09:51 AM

IProbeDoContinuously is depreciated, but you can use it in the case where you do not need to create a 'profile' and just need the probe to run. If this is the case, you can probably get away without using the probe framework and just using the older Java SDK. The only thing you will truly lose is the ability to have an AC GUI, but without the 'profile' you don't really benefit from it. Unless you want the advanced baselining and alarming features.

If you'd like to speak more about Java development, please feel free to email me directly at bryan.morrow@ca.com.

Thanks,

Bryan