DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  Alert Devices which are detected

Posted Apr 25, 2017 10:09 AM

Hi,

Our client has a requirement that they want UIM to alert as and when a device is connected to the network ? Can this be done through the discover or through any other options?

I am still working my way out to get this from the DHCP however, I would like to see if this can be achieved through OOB UIM facility.

Any thoughts?

-kag

• 2.  Re: Alert Devices which are detected

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 26, 2017 03:51 AM

Hello Kag, do you want to monitor if device that is already discovered in UIM is connected to the network or not ? This can be achieved with the net_connect probe or you can use snmpget probe to query the IF-MIB attribute

ifOperStatus

Kind regards,

Britta Hoffner

Principle Support Engineer

CA Support

• 3.  Re: Alert Devices which are detected

Posted Apr 26, 2017 05:53 AM
      |   view attached

Hi Britta,

I want to alert when any device is connected to the network irrespective of the UIM discovery. Any ways to do this? All that I am looking for is an alert/email that says a new device XXXX is connected to the network with the IP address and MAC address can also be effective.

We had some couple of outages when users connected their routers to the LAN and this had some impact. Hence, we want to alert when any device is connected to the network.

I did some research and thought if enabling event ID 10 on the DHCP server will be of any help. This event ID will be generated when any IP address is leased to a device, however I am not sure if this will be effective. Any thoughts?

-kag

• 4.  Re: Alert Devices which are detected

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 26, 2017 07:03 AM

Hello Kag,

I do not see a way to send any Alarms / Messages to UIM without having the source for the Alarm discovered. Even with snmpcollector the devices are getting discovered into the Inventory. If you can configure DHCP or routers / switches to send traps when devices are getting connected you can use the snmptd probe to listen to this traps and generate Alarms.

https://docops.ca.com/ca-unified-infrastructure-management-probes/ga/en/alphabetical-probe-articles/snmptd-simple-network-management-protocol-trap-daemon-monitoring

Kind regards,

Britta Hoffner

Principal Support Engineer

CA Support

• 5.  Re: Alert Devices which are detected

Posted Apr 26, 2017 07:10 AM
      |   view attached

Hi Britta,

If we would have to use the UIM discovery, how to alert when a device is discovered? The only thing that backs me from the approach is the schedule of the discovery which is not configured properly. I am working on this to get this fixed.

What do you think is the best schedule for discovery? Is it good on a daily basis or on a weekly basis? Any thoughts?

-kag

• 6.  Re: Alert Devices which are detected

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 26, 2017 07:42 AM

Hello Kag,

this really depends on your needs. How often you have new devices connect to the network and others disconnect from the network. For disconnected devices, this stays discovered in the Inventory and you get Alarms that these are unavailable. You can run discovery on seed routers or ipaddress ranges to find new devices.

Kind regards,

Britta Hoffner

• 7.  Re: Alert Devices which are detected

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 27, 2017 04:38 AM

Hello.

I don't think that there are any UIM features which fulfill your needs.

Because UIM is able to monitor only devices that UIM knows.

There is no way for UIM to know a new device has connected to your network.

UIM discovery feature is designed to be used to add business value (device properties, OS classification for example) in combination of monitoring probes but not intended to be designed to fulfill your needs.

Regards,

Yu Ishitani

• 8.  Re: Alert Devices which are detected

Posted Apr 27, 2017 10:37 AM
      |   view attached

Thanks Yu.

-kag