DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  Oracle Probe has to be started

Posted Jul 28, 2016 10:05 AM

Hello Everyone,

I have an issue on an oracle probe where when I  try to set up a connection, it says ' The probe has to be started for connection test'. While I understand this is usually because of environment variables. I have them updated correctly and still I cannot get the connection up and running.

While looking at the log files, I can see a message saying that there needs to be an entry in the tnsnames.ora file. I'm little baffled as this new server was a clone from another server where the connection is working as expected.

Also, the log file shows entries against all the parameters configured.

Any thoughts?

-kag

• 2.  Re: Oracle Probe has to be started

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 28, 2016 10:43 AM

hi,

Make sure tsnping and sqlplus from the command line are working to the oracle instance and the same username and password being used in the probe.

it sounds like there is a problem with service name int he tnsnames.ora file or with the probes ability to find it.

Might want to check the below KB.

http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec000002426.aspx

• 3.  Re: Oracle Probe has to be started

Posted Jul 28, 2016 12:22 PM
      |   view attached

Hi Gene,

Sqlplus works however not tnsping. I can see oracle home, sid and tns admin are correct.

Here is what the logs have to say

Jul 28 12:00:56:361  oracle: oracle 4.81 Dec 11 2014 10:25:07

Jul 28 12:00:56:361  oracle: Nimbus Software AS

Jul 28 12:00:56:361  oracle: ORACLE_HOME=E:\oracle\product\1120

Jul 28 12:00:56:751  oracle: fwCreateSetup env_path=

Jul 28 12:00:56:751  oracle: fwCreateSetup oracle_path=

Jul 28 12:00:56:767  oracle: Inside create setup-ora_path=E:\oracle\product\1120\network\admin\tnsnames.ora

Jul 28 12:00:56:767  oracle: host name/ip not found in ora file

The log says that the hostname/ip not found in ora file. We do not have such entry on any other servers. I will try giving the information in the ora file, however the file is for the oracle to connect to the uim server. Can you help me better understand here.

-KAG

• 4.  Re: Oracle Probe has to be started
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 01, 2016 09:34 AM

The Oracle probe will use the "service Name" you enter in the oracle connections setup to find your Oracle server.

That oracle server will return values listed in the tnsnames.ora file that would have been setup on install.

If tnsnames.ora has been setup correctly, the probe will be able to monitor all instances listed in the file.

If you have the tnsnames.ora setup with all your installs you can use the tnsping utility to ping the install, and the probe should be also be able to see and monitor it.