DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  UIM Architecture (Windows Primary HUB, Linux Secondary HUB, Linux UMP ) and SOI

Posted Aug 22, 2016 06:02 PM

Hello Guys,

I have a some questions regards architecture.

1)  The UIM doesn't support Linux NMS with MS SQL database together. Does somebody know the reason why? JDBC connections with correct driver (jTDS) should cover also MS SQL databases.

2) We will implement UIM and SOI with UIM connector (and Spectrum, APM connector also). The currently we have Spectrum/APM on linux and Linux is preferred OS for new applications.

The our idea was implement UIM on Linux with MS SQL database and the same database server had to be shared with SOI.  Main reason was economy impact, because the customer spent money for CA product and they has the licenses and experiences with MS SQL.

Unfortunately UIM does not support the combination NMS on Linux with MS SQL database backend.

The Oracle license is quite expensive and customer hasn't guys which will care about it. MySQL database is not useable, because SOI connector supports MS SQL/Oracle DB only.

Our new idea is to have primary NMS server on Windows connected to MS SQL database and other servers (secondary hub/UMP portal) have on Linux, all robots will be connected to secondary hubs.

We are feel more comfortable with Linux operating system and this idea should fulfill economics and technical requirements - We will eliminate Oracle DB and most component will be on Linux)

Has somebody experience with it and want to share it? I would like to know also your opinion.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Tomas

• 2.  Re: UIM Architecture (Windows Primary HUB, Linux Secondary HUB, Linux UMP ) and SOI
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 23, 2016 08:36 AM

Good morning,

I can not tell you WHY we do not support Linux Primary connecting to MS SQL database other than it is generally just not used.

Lack of demand means no support many times.

Most Linux shops are also Oracle shops just as most windows shows are MS SQL shops.....

There is no reason you can not have a Primary Windows server point at an MSSQL server and then all other hubs and robots being Linux.

The one suggestion I would make is that the UMP server match the Primary UIM server as well.

I do not think I have seen any one have a primary UIM server running windows and MS SQL and a linux  UMP server.

I am pretty sure that combination has not been tested or tested regularly by our QA departments.

Hope this helps.

• 3.  Re: UIM Architecture (Windows Primary HUB, Linux Secondary HUB, Linux UMP ) and SOI

Posted Aug 26, 2016 04:23 PM

Support told me encryption reasons.

• 4.  Re: UIM Architecture (Windows Primary HUB, Linux Secondary HUB, Linux UMP ) and SOI

Posted Apr 12, 2018 10:32 AM

Our new idea is to have primary NMS server on Windows connected to MS SQL database and other servers (secondary hub/UMP portal) have on Linux

I it is working to Install Primary hub on Windows and Secondary on linux. I tried it (with the Support team help), but it won't show in Admin console or IM until you add it in name services.

Follow those steps:

* open Infrastructure Manager

* open the hub probe on the primary hub

* access the Name Services tab

* in the Static Hub area click New and add the IP address or the name of the secondary hub

* save the changes

This is a workaround. and I will update in case I found a permanent solution.