DX Infrastructure Manager

Expand all | Collapse all

Several probes fail to start

Jump to Best Answer
  • 1.  Several probes fail to start

Posted 01-27-2016 12:18 AM

I've installed the UIM server onto a CentOS machine. It is connecting to an Oracle 11g XE database instance.

After logging into the admin console, it appears that a few of the probes are not starting.  One effect this is having, is that I cannot now install the UMP in order to get the web services, etc.

The following probes are failing to start:

• ace
    • maintenance_mode
    • nis_server
    • policy_engine

The logs indicate different failures.

The ace and nis_server probes show something like:

Caused by: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset

at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(Unknown Source)
         at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(Unknown Source)
         at oracle.net.ns.DataPacket.send(DataPacket.java:199)
         at oracle.net.ns.NetOutputStream.flush(NetOutputStream.java:211)
         at oracle.net.ns.NetInputStream.getNextPacket(NetInputStream.java:227)
         at oracle.net.ns.NetInputStream.read(NetInputStream.java:175)
         at oracle.net.ns.NetInputStream.read(NetInputStream.java:100)
         at oracle.net.ns.NetInputStream.read(NetInputStream.java:85)
         at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CSocketInputStreamWrapper.readNextPacket(T4CSocketInputStreamWrapper.java:122)
         at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CSocketInputStreamWrapper.read(T4CSocketInputStreamWrapper.java:78)
         at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CMAREngine.unmarshalUB1(T4CMAREngine.java:1179)
         at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CMAREngine.unmarshalSB1(T4CMAREngine.java:1155)
         at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CTTIfun.receive(T4CTTIfun.java:279)
         at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CTTIfun.doRPC(T4CTTIfun.java:186)
         at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CTTIoauthenticate.doOAUTH(T4CTTIoauthenticate.java:366)
         at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CTTIoauthenticate.doOAUTH(T4CTTIoauthenticate.java:752)
         at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CConnection.logon(T4CConnection.java:359)
         ... 15 more

The maintenance mode probe shows:

Jan 26 23:47:11:492 FATAL [main, com.nimsoft.monitor.probe.Starter] java.sql.SQLRecoverableException: IO Error: Connection reset

Jan 26 23:47:12:153 INFO  [main, com.nimsoft.monitor.probe.Starter] Setting NIMV_CONTIP to: 159.203.164.11
    Jan 26 23:47:12:153 INFO  [main, com.nimsoft.monitor.probe.Starter] Setting NIM_PROBE_KEY to: 2vVm8a6q1icAEaIIxmGlrzUZZoJU4CFEacBN9KWZZHxBayMksjZaZ2IK8TNk7yx
    Jan 26 23:47:12:153 INFO  [main, com.nimsoft.monitor.probe.Starter] Setting NIMCPRID to: 70601680
    Jan 26 23:47:12:154 INFO  [main, com.nimsoft.monitor.probe.Starter] Setting NIMPROBEPORT to: 48030
    Jan 26 23:47:12:483 INFO  [main, com.nimsoft.monitor.probe.util.DBUtils] DatabaseConnectionInfo [databaseName=XE, databaseServer=159.203.160.115, dbProvider=Oracle, nisJdbcUsername=nimsoft, nisJdbcPassword={not_shown_for_security_reasons}, nisJdbcUrl=jdbc:oracle:thin:@159.203.160.115:1521/XE]

Any help as to why this might be happening would be appreciated.  Obviously it seems like DB connection issues, but the installation worked fine, and it's obviously working for some parts of the application.  What might be causing only a subset of the probes to fail?

Thanks!

• 2.  Re: Several probes fail to start
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted 01-27-2016 09:46 AM

Hi there,

What version of UIM are you installing?

This sounds like a known issue with Oracle 11g and older (pre-8.1) UIM installs.

Check out this link for more information and how to correct it.

What version of java do you have installed on the machine?

Those probes you mentioned are java-based and require JVM 1.7+.

A lot of the times, issues like this can be corrected by deploying the java_jre from the archive to this robot.

Deploy the java_jre and then restart the robot. Does that correct the issue?

Phil

• 3.  Re: Several probes fail to start

Broadcom Employee
    Posted 01-27-2016 10:22 AM

However these probes don't have the startup/opt section is "-server -XX:ErrorFile=./hs_err_pid.log" mentioned in the tech doc, just the memory settings.

Not sure but it seemed to me that 'admin console' is installed with UMP, so when you say 'admin console' do you mean the IM Console?

For troubleshooting set hub and controller to logging level 5 and restart the hub.

It would also be a good idea to test the connection between the two systems.

Here are a couple of links that can help with that.

Testing Connections

How to troubleshoot Oracle remote database connection | DaDBm

• 4.  Re: Several probes fail to start

Broadcom Employee
    Posted 01-27-2016 01:19 PM

What version of UIM are you using?

The issue mentioned in the article was resolved with the release of 8.1.

Did you try (re)deploying the java_jre (Java 7 (java_jre1.7))from the archive (via Infrastructure Manager)?

I recommend opening a Support ticket should the deploying java package not resolve the issue.

Include those logs that you captured when opening the case to expedite the process.

Phil

• 5.  Re: Several probes fail to start

Posted 01-28-2016 12:43 AM

For the record, I've installed UIM server 8.31.  I made the recommended Java memory changes, and it seemed to work. Though, if they were already fixed as of 8.1, it could just be the fact that I restarted them that fixed them?  I had restarted them several times before, so I really don't know.

Thanks for the help!