DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  Force vmware probe to pick up Computer Name instead of the name displayed in vCentre

Posted Nov 10, 2016 12:48 AM

Dear All,

Is there a we can force the vmware probe to pickup the Computer Name or the DNS Name instead of the Name which administrators normally give in vCentre for identification?

It is causing an issue with reconciling  the VM's which already has Robot installed with the one discovered using vmware probe.

As an example below ...its creating duplicate entries as the Name picked up by vmware probe is different to that of the actual Computer Name 

Is there anyway we can avoid these issues and force the probe to pickup computer name please?

• 2.  Re: Force vmware probe to pick up Computer Name instead of the name displayed in vCentre
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 10, 2016 08:24 AM

HI,

the vwmare  probe pulls the information from the Vmware API.

You would need to check with your Vmware team on how to change the infromation that the API is providing.

I did find some articles on Vmware about changing the name.

I hope this helps

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&docTypeID=DT_KB_1_1&externalId=1005750 

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1014030

I checked our case history and docs and currently see no way for us to change this from the application side.

• 3.  Re: Force vmware probe to pick up Computer Name instead of the name displayed in vCentre

Posted Nov 10, 2016 05:45 PM

Hi Gene,

Agreed that  its the vmware API which provides the information, but its the vmware probe which pulls the information and publishes the data to the UIM DB . So, it should be an option in the vmware probe to decide which information we publish as the "Name" .

Ideally we should not be picking up the "Target Name" visible in vCenter as the machine name , we should pickup the Hostname or the DNS name as the name of the VM. Normally users rename the target name in vcentre to anything other than the hostname for identification , so that should not be a reference for us to create a host name for the server in UIM DB 

• 4.  Re: Force vmware probe to pick up Computer Name instead of the name displayed in vCentre

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 11, 2016 06:15 AM

I believe that device duplication stop after leaving only <IP Address> correlation rule (in discovery_server) enabled.