DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  Clarification of cluster probabilities and hyperv

Posted Dec 15, 2016 01:09 PM

UIM friends, good afternoon.

I'm setting up an environment with Hyperv 2008 in Cluster, where the servers have no robot.

I have some doubts:

1 - The Hyperv probe does not support clustered environment, but I can use it to monitor the VMs. What will happen when a VM is moved by a node, I will receive some alarm, probably, right?

2 - The probe cluster, sees my cluster hyperv and lists all nodes and my VMs. However, I honestly do not know what to configure in the options (profiles, shared sessions). I could not understand the logic of this probe, besides generating alarms when the virtual machine is moved, or turned off and on. And I understand that the configurations require probes on the host and virtual servers?

What is the best way to monitor virtual servers in hyperv with cluster?

Thank you.

• 2.  Re: Clarification of cluster probabilities and hyperv

Posted Dec 15, 2016 07:15 PM

I have come across a similar scenario some time back and was partially successful  

Yes,  the Hyper-v probe does not monitor clusters . Only option here is to have the cluster probe installed on the Hyper-v host machines and that automatically detects the VM's and the clusters configured . It may not need any further configuration after this.

As you mentioned ,the cluster probe by default detects the changes and generates an alarm when a node moves or when its offline . This is the best I could achieve using the cluster probe for Hyper-v cluster monitoring.

You may achieve a little bit more benefit with storage space monitoring if you have cdm installed .

using cluster probe is not a proper way of monitoring hyper-v cluster but for now thats the only best option available .

• 3.  Re: Clarification of cluster probabilities and hyperv

Posted Dec 16, 2016 09:13 AM

Hi,

Can you explain to me what this CDM configuration would be? I read and know some people use in case of cluster windows (ex: exchange), but I did not understand how it would be useful in practice.

"You may achieve a little bit more benefit with storage space monitoring if you have cdm installed."

Thank you.

• 4.  Re: Clarification of cluster probabilities and hyperv

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 10, 2017 05:34 AM

Hello Sandro, when you have cdm probe in a cluster environment installed you are able to monitor shared disk drives on their particular nodes in addition to the physical drives that are attached to the primary and secondary host.

https://docops.ca.com/ca-unified-infrastructure-management-probes/ga/en/alphabetical-probe-articles/cluster-clustered-environment-monitoring

https://docops.ca.com/ca-unified-infrastructure-management-probes/ga/en/alphabetical-probe-articles/cdm-cpu-disk-memory-performance-monitoring

Kind regards,

Britta Hoffner