DX Infrastructure Manager

Expand all | Collapse all

Where is Auto-Configurations in Admin Console for VMWARE probe?

Jump to Best Answer
  • 1.  Where is Auto-Configurations in Admin Console for VMWARE probe?

Posted 07-07-2016 05:04 PM

Where is Auto-Configurations section in Admin Console for vmware probe?

So a situation came up where we wanted to generate the "Situations to Watch" report for a VMware deployment. This is a huge site and they have 100+ datastores. I know we have to turn on the base_lineing, ToT, etc all the features w/in the Admin Console for each metric that we want to collect and monitor.

I need to turn all this on against all 50+ hosts, 100+ datastores under this one vcenter profile.

How do we do this this currently? I'm using 6.72 version of vmware probe. I don't see a way to apply and then apply across the board.

• 2.  Re: Where is Auto-Configurations in Admin Console for VMWARE probe?
    Best Answer

Posted 07-08-2016 03:39 AM

Hi Daniel,

Are you looking for this?

vmware > Probe Setup

Enable Bulk Config: Enables bulk configuration through the Template Editor. This feature is disabled by default. It is also disabled if the probe has been previously configured. Bulk configuration is possible only on a newly deployed probe with no configuration.

vmware AC GUI Reference - CA Unified Infrastructure Management Probes - CA Technologies Documentation

• 3.  Re: Where is Auto-Configurations in Admin Console for VMWARE probe?

Posted 07-08-2016 09:52 AM

Ah! Thank you Marco.

As far as I know there isn't a way to save the configured Auto-Template and then apply it at another instance?

You have direct access to the machines to copy directories correct? I would then need to apply this template to another site as well.

Would the steps be:

1. Deploy new instance of just the vmware probe to Box 1.

2. Configure it with Bulk Config enabled. Setup all my monitoring options. Save, apply.

3. Deactive probe and copy the vmware directory from Box 1 to a temp location.

4. Deploy new vmware instance to Box 2.

5. Deactivate vmware probe on Box 2. Copy the vmware directory from Box 1 to Box 2.

6. Activate probe on Box 2.

7. Add resources accordingly.

• 4.  Re: Where is Auto-Configurations in Admin Console for VMWARE probe?

Posted 08-08-2016 03:25 PM

Hi Daniel,

that was also something we tried to do, and yes, no way to do that. There are some zip files which seem to have some of those configs in probe directory but what ever there is seem to be instance specific or something, anyway not usable in other probe.

Another thing we did learn hard way is that if you enable the bulk config and the try to get rid of that setting then you need to do a lot of work, even deleting the probe directory, clean new reinstalling etc will still have some those settings alarming. Some of those settings are in zip files under prediction_engine (in nearest hub), those config lines can be deleted manually, but when you are in vmware with hundreds of vms running there could be thousands of rows that need to be deleted.

So at least in our envs no bulk config in vmware.