DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  UIM Database Backup Strategy

Posted Jan 12, 2016 05:12 AM

Hi,

We have our UIM database server being backed up at a regular schedule, however I do not see an existing job that truncates/deletes the old data. Is it advisable to truncate the old data which are backed up.

There are 3 tables which are being used at the start up of our MOM tool CA SOI namely

CM_CONFIGURATION_ITEM

CM_DEVICE

CM_COMPUTERSYSTEM

And it turns out that the numbers on these tables are quite overwhelming. When trying to drill down for this issue we found that there is no truncation happening in our database and I suspect that these high numbers are due to the server not being truncated which ultimately not starting up the tool. Any suggestion on this please.

-kag

• 2.  Re: UIM Database Backup Strategy

Posted Jan 12, 2016 07:56 AM

What do you mean, exactly? Truncation, could be either 1) removal of "unused" space in files 2) removing data from a table. Are you talking about device maintenance in the sense of cleaning old, currently non existing devices from those tables? The discovery_server should take care of that, at least that's how it used to be. I believe it removes devices that haven't been seen in 7 or 30 days.. at least those two numbers seem to pop up in my mind.

-jon

• 3.  Re: UIM Database Backup Strategy

Posted Jan 12, 2016 08:02 AM
      |   view attached

Hi Jon,

That is also right. And I am also trying to understand about the retention policy of data on the DB Server. I believe in my DB server, data is being backed up and I don’t think that the data in those tables/server is not deleted after backing up. Just wanted to understand the best practise around this.

-kag

• 4.  Re: UIM Database Backup Strategy

Posted Jan 12, 2016 08:46 AM

'backup' has nothing to do with the contents of the data tables.

For MS SQL & Oracle a full backup will clear the transaction logs.

The application and not the backup takes care of data retention.

• 5.  Re: UIM Database Backup Strategy
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 12, 2016 08:51 AM

For UIM data retention is documented at the wiki

https://docops.ca.com/ca-unified-infrastructure-management/8-35/en

just search on 'retention'.