DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  Template Editor Filter: user defined properties

Posted Feb 18, 2016 06:24 AM

Hello,

I am using UIM  with snmp collector v2.23 and I am configuring a filter ( template editor, device filter)  to select the devices the template has to be applied. We have around 4000 Cisco devices ( router, switch, wap, etc...) to onboard.

The drop down list shows a lot of criteria and I would need some help with : "User Defined Property" and "System Object Id".

UIM filter.PNG

I already went through the "A basic guide for configuring snmpcollector" and got some info from v2.1 snmpcollector Apply Monitoring with Templates - CA Unified Infrastructure Management Probes - CA Technologies Docum…

but I would need a detailled explanation of these fields.

Does anyone know where to find some help?

Thanks

Gilles

• 2.  Re: Template Editor Filter: user defined properties
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 18, 2016 11:01 AM

Side note: because of the fixes in the latest revisions it is very important to update snmpcollector and pollagent to 2.26 or later when there is another update.

System Object ID is plain english for the sysObjectID OID which is a unique identifier for the particular type of device.

tech head version:

1.3.6.1.2.1.1.2 - sysObjectID

Generated from OBJECT-TYPE definition found in rfc1213-mib2.asn1

OID value: 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.2

OID description:

sysObjectID OBJECT-TYPE SYNTAX  OBJECT IDENTIFIER ACCESS  read-only STATUS  mandatory DESCRIPTION "The vendor's authoritative identification of the network management subsystem contained in the entity.  This value is allocated within the SMI enterprises subtree (1.3.6.1.4.1) and provides an easy and unambiguous means for determining `what kind of box' is being managed.  For example, if vendor `Flintstones, Inc.' was assigned the subtree 1.3.6.1.4.1.4242, it could assign the identifier 1.3.6.1.4.1.4242.1.1 to its `Fred Router'." ::= { system 2 }

User Defined Property 1: is just that, something you want to add to the device for some reason. It could identify the device as having a special configuration, part of a special group, or whatever.