DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  Auto Monitor Partitions with cdm probe using MCS

Posted Sep 12, 2016 01:16 PM

Is it possible to auto monitor partitions on servers where the cdm probe is pushed using the MCS?

• 2.  Re: Auto Monitor Partitions with cdm probe using MCS

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 13, 2016 08:57 AM

Hi Raymound,

Can you add a little more details on what exactly you are wanting?

1) what OS type and versions are you taking about

2) are the partitions in question mapped to drive or mount points?

3) can you currently do what you are asking with the CDM probe?

A little more details will help us provide you better direction.

• 3.  Re: Auto Monitor Partitions with cdm probe using MCS

Posted Sep 13, 2016 09:24 AM

The server OS types are Linux and Windows.  Some partitions are mapped to drives, and there are mount points, but most of those will be excluded.

• 4.  Re: Auto Monitor Partitions with cdm probe using MCS

Posted Sep 13, 2016 09:46 AM

I found this comment in the documentation:

https://docops.ca.com/ca-unified-infrastructure-management-probes/en/alphabetical-probe-articles/mon_config_service-monitoring-configuration-service/mon_config_service-monitoring-configuration-service-release-notes#mon_config_service(MonitoringConfigurationService)ReleaseNotes-upgradetemplateUpgradeTemplates

Configure File Systems with Monitoring Configuration Service

Use either the Default Disk(s) or the Disk(s) profile type to create a configuration profile for file systems (disks) in your CA UIM environment. If you inadvertently configure both profile types for a USM group, the configuration profiles might not be applied to target devices as you might expect.

Note: It's important that all the devices in a group have similar characteristics. Before you configure one of the Disks profile types, ensure the configuration settings are applicable to all storage locations for devices in the group.

Scenario 1:

A monitoring administrator selects the Default Disk(s) profile type to create a configuration profile for a group of UNIX servers. The administrator configures default settings, and these settings are applied to all storage locations on servers in the group. The administrator does not configure the Disk(s) profile type.

As file storage locations are added to servers in the group, the Default Disk(s) configuration profile is applied.

Scenario 2:

A monitoring administrator selects the Disk(s) profile type to create a configuration profile for a group of Windows devices. The administrator configures settings for disks C:, D:, and E:. This profile is deployed and applied to all disks C:, D:, and E: on devices that are members of the group. The administrator does not configure the Disk(s) profile type.

As new disks are added to devices in the group, the Disk(s) configuration profile is applied.

I've tried Scenario 1 and it does work, except that it is going to require intervention in order to get the existing file storage locations to be monitored with the default disk profile.  The MCS deploys the cdm probe and once the cdm probe is deployed, file storage locations are identified.  Next, the profile is applied, but it is only going to apply to any new file storage location.  I can open the cdm probe and delete all partitions and when they are re-discovered the profile will apply, but that decreases the value of using MCS. Unless I've missed something, it looks like I have to do this for all the existing servers and any new server that is added, if I want to use MCS.

• 5.  Re: Auto Monitor Partitions with cdm probe using MCS

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 13, 2016 03:41 PM

So I think the problem is coming in for your existing CDM deployment.

The Scenario 1 should work find for new systems that do not have CDM deployed and configured.

Currently I do not believe MCS has an upgrade option from normal CDM to CDM-MC that will reset the disks for so that the new template can be applied.

You may want to try resetting first with a old configuration package

Re-initialize discovery of disks on existing cdm deployments 

and then apply the template.

Short of that it will be a manual process.

• 6.  Re: Auto Monitor Partitions with cdm probe using MCS

Posted Sep 14, 2016 11:08 AM

Here's the order that actions occur from my observation on a server with no CDM probe:

1. Copy default disk policy to server

2. MCS deploys probe

3. Probe starts and discovers file systems

4. MCS applies policy

5. Policy does not apply to existing file systems

6. Add a new filesystem

7. Policy applies to new file system