DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  dirscan - 2 parameters ?

Posted Sep 25, 2012 04:56 PM

Hi,

we are using the dirscan probe (3.05)  to monitor a folder (windows platform) for zero byte files being created. However, because windows seems to create a zero byte file and then fill it as new files come in to the folder, I get false alarms occasionally.

Is it possible to combine two parts of dirscan into one alarm - ie file is less than 5 bytes and more than 3 minutes old ?

And if it is, can any variables be passed to a command from the dirscan alarm/automatic action tab ?

many thanks,

Ian 

• 2.  Re: dirscan - 2 parameters ?

Posted Sep 25, 2012 05:46 PM

To hide the alarm untill 3 minutes has passed you could:

Set the interval to 3 minutes.

Make the incoming alarms invisible with a nas pre-processing rule.

Make it visible in a nas AO profile if the count > 2

You could get more acurate by generating two alarms from the dirscan. One on age>3mins and one on size<5 bytes. Make them both invisible then correlate these using triggers, or lua and create a new alarm.

To fire an action you can use the nexec probe and control it from a nas lua script.

A little convoluted I'm afraid

• 3.  Re: dirscan - 2 parameters ?

Posted Sep 25, 2012 06:06 PM
    Thank you Robin, I don't want to hide the alarm, more I want to check for 0 byte files more than 3 minutes old. If the only way is to write a script to do it, I may as well do that and abandon the nimsoft probe altogether. Which is a shame.

Ian

• 4.  Re: dirscan - 2 parameters ?

Posted Sep 25, 2012 06:22 PM

Hi!

If I understand it right, no chance to do that by a native probe way, a shame indeed, because a relative simple question.

To be a bit sarcastic and put my experience into it, open a feature request and if you are lucky and some customer who is going to buy NMS and wants that feature and put it in its contract will get it ;-), so will you, if you do not have that luck, well sit and wait, can be a long time, and sometimes it never made it.

Otherwise, yes there is a way, to build a little wooden bridge for NMS, but just with scripting.

• 5.  Re: dirscan - 2 parameters ?

Posted Sep 26, 2012 07:22 AM

I'd go for logmon + powershell

• 6.  Re: dirscan - 2 parameters ?

Posted Sep 26, 2012 02:50 PM
    Thank everyone, all options to consider !

• 7.  Re: dirscan - 2 parameters ?

Posted Sep 26, 2012 05:27 PM
    I have gone with dirscan triggering a script on finding a 0 byte file, the script then perfoming the dual check.

thanks for the help !