DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  Monitoring Custom Applications

Posted Jul 24, 2015 03:20 AM

I am looking for information on what we can monitor and any insights from the community on following applications

All of these applications are currently deployed on AWS and the customer wants to understand how we can monitor these from UIM and what we can monitor ?

Do we use Amazon Cloud Watch ? any custom probes , etc.,

Neo4j

RDS-Oracle

Zoo Keeper

Aetos(Karaf)

Nginx

Hazelcast

Solr

Amazon SQS

Puppet Master

Alfresco

Nodejs

OSGi

theforeman.org

Appneta

Stash

Kibana

SONR

Swagger

• 2.  Re: Monitoring Custom Applications

Posted Jul 24, 2015 11:41 AM

In general you can monitor anything - it's all a matter of the amount of time and effort you want to put into it.

You could satisfy your needs with the ntservices or processes probes if all you needed was "is it running..." answered.

You can use ntevl/logmon to watch log files for events

Some of those apps have URL interfaces - url_response or webservicemon might be appropriate.

For the databases, there's the jdbc_response probe. As long as there's a java database compliant library, you can probably us that.

When you step away from the "out of the box" monitoring, the first place to start looking is the logmon probe. In addition to looking at files, this probe can run a "command" and process the output. So there might not be a probe for Neo4j but if you can write something in shell script to issue the necessary tests and report to stdout messaging that you can then process with the logmon watchers.

Beyond that, you can always write your own probes or write something in LUA that executes on the nas that determines the health of what you are monitoring.

-Garin

• 3.  Re: Monitoring Custom Applications

Posted Jul 24, 2015 01:17 PM

Thanks, Garin for the insight

In terms of the last item that you have detailed on writing your own probes, is there some handy documentation or link where we could re-direct our customers and/or partners

The biggest challenge that I foresee here is the fact UIM education is not easily accessible online to customers.. we would ideally want customers and/or partners to help themselves using existing documentation as much as possible before they come to us

In this case, given that the opportunity is still only at 20% , I would ideally want to give the customer SNAP (or a trial license) and let them figure out for themselves how to customize UIM for their monitoring needs

Any ideas ?

• 4.  Re: Monitoring Custom Applications

Posted Jul 27, 2015 12:30 AM

Santhosh,

The wiki would be a good start - CA Unified Infrastructure Management - 8.2 - CA Unified Infrastructure Management - 8.2 - CA Wiki

Regards,

Philip Becker

• 5.  Re: Monitoring Custom Applications

Posted Jul 27, 2015 02:10 AM

It would also be good to push CA on the matter a bit.. throughout my time with UIM there's been talk of having developer oriented classes / training, but I haven't seen anything materialize yet. Something like that would be nice.

-jon

• 6.  Re: Monitoring Custom Applications

Posted Jul 27, 2015 10:01 AM

There is a soon to be released video course that deals with the new Java based Probe Framework.