DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  Changing the port number of the robot

Posted Jun 28, 2008 05:16 AM
    Hello,

In 3.5 Environment, i want to change the port number of the robot ? Is-it possible or not ?

Thanks for the response

Régis

• 2.  Changing the port number of the robot

Posted Jun 28, 2008 08:04 AM
    I am not sure, but there is no option for the robot TCP port in the config file. This might indicate that the port is hard-coded, or it could just mean it is using the default value. I believe TCP 48000 is officially registered with IANA, so they might assume you would have no need to change the port.

Regards,
    Keith

• 3.  Re: Changing the port number of the robot

Posted Jan 20, 2011 03:54 PM

Hello!

Is it still not possible to change the Ports 48000 till 48003 ? Evenso it is registred by IANA, there could be the need to do that

Cheers

Matthias

• 4.  Re: Changing the port number of the robot

Posted Jan 21, 2011 07:39 PM

You can change the ports used by the controller and spooler (TCP 48000 and 48001 by default) by putting the following lines in the robot.cfg file with different values:

controller_port = 48000
       spooler_port = 48001

The hub tunnel server port (TCP 48003 by default) is an option that can be changed in the hub GUI after the tunnel server is enabled.

I am not sure whether the hub port (TCP 48002 by default) can be changed, although it would not surprise me if it could considering the other ports can be changed. If you need to know and do not get any more information in this forum, I would recommend opening a support case to get a definitive answer from engineering.

-Keith

• 5.  Re: Changing the port number of the robot

Posted Jan 22, 2011 05:48 AM

The controller has an option to set the first port it uses, once set, all the other probes will follow it, i.e. if the first port is 1200, the next port/probe would be 1201, then 1202, etc. 

Controller->Setup->Advanced   "First port number"

If you want to push it from the controller so they all default to a specific port use:

<controller>

first_probe_port = 48000

</controller> 

Note that you should setup a group with all nodes EXCEPT for the primary Hub, if you include the primary your distribution server will go into a loop... You can recover from it, it's just a pain. :smileywink:

Dustin

• 6.  Re: Changing the port number of the robot
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 25, 2011 02:53 PM

Setting the first_probe_port to the controller port is actually not a good idea. You should avoid all the reserved ports (48000-48003).

The controller will handle this in the normal situation, but this is a potential conflict situation.

Koert

• 7.  RE: Re: Changing the port number of the robot

Posted Sep 01, 2020 05:54 AM
    Hello,

is this working? I have changed value of first probe to 60000 while installing the robot. Controller and spooler probe were at 48000 and 480001 while other probes did start from 60000 to above.

Thank you.

• 8.  RE: Re: Changing the port number of the robot

Posted Sep 01, 2020 01:52 PM
    Hi Mario,
    Yes what you described is working as designed. If you want to change the robot port (controller and spooler) then you need to add the following entries in the robot.cfg file.
    controller_port = <port number of choice>
    spooler_port = <port number of choice>

example:
    controller_port=60000
    spooler_port=60001

------------------------------
    [Designation]
    [City]

• 9.  RE: Re: Changing the port number of the robot

Posted Sep 02, 2020 05:09 AM
    Just a warning, even though you can change the probe ports and the controller/spooler ports it may not be a good idea depending on the probe actions you want to do.

Using the first_probe_port has not caused a problem for us but you do leave space for some of the other components below.

Changing the tunnel_port has not caused a problem but you need to ensure that the ports directly above it are not used as the hub takes the ports above for each client tunnel connection to the server (not sure of the actual allocation rule) but we try to leave at least 2+n (where n is the number of expected tunnel client connections.

Changing the hub port (48002) in either hub or hub_adaptor, spooler port (48001) and controller port (48000) leads to some weird errors, especially with older probes, as it seems that some of these ports are hard-coded in parts of the code. so as a policy we do not change these three ports.

Your mileage may differ

Good Luck, Andrew

Knows a little about UIM/DXim, AE, Automic

• 10.  RE: Re: Changing the port number of the robot

Posted Sep 17, 2020 03:38 AM
    Thanks to everybody, we have presented customer the solution and risks. Now it's up to them to choose.

Regards

Mario