DX Infrastructure Manager

Expand all | Collapse all

Probe distribution questions

Jump to Best Answer
  • 1.  Probe distribution questions

Posted 06-14-2012 07:45 PM

Couple of questions regarding probe development and packaging.

I have written a new probe that uses needs both a config file and a data file. Once deployed, I can edit the config file by double clicking on on the probe (bringing up the 'raw config' editor and that is fine). I can not find a way of editing the data file though once deployed. In the probe definition, the data file is listed in the 'Date File' field. I seem to recall seeing a Nimsoft probe that when I go to configure it, it pops up and says that there are both a config and a data file and asks which one I would like to edit. How do I go about getting that dialog or otherwise editing the data file after deployment?

Second question. Once I have the probe packaged in my development environment, I want to be able to deploy it to production env. so I want to make it into a zip file that I can then copy from dev to prod. I can't seem to find any instructions on how to do that. Any pointers would be appreciateed.

Thanks!

Marc

• 2.  Re: Probe distribution questions

Posted 06-14-2012 11:33 PM

Not sure on your first question, your second question I believe you can just go into the archive folder and get the package and move it to your prod server.

• 3.  Re: Probe distribution questions

Posted 06-15-2012 05:06 PM

I am interested on second question, there is no clear documentation of how to create a zip archive package by using callback instead of IM. On several occassions, you might want to be able to create a lot of different packages template using script.

• 4.  Re: Probe distribution questions

Posted 06-15-2012 06:35 PM

I'm also interested in this.  Take a look at the distsrv probe, the archive_get_pkginfo callback and what it returns if you give it a probe name.  There are corresponding archive_PUT_pkginfo.   Haven't written any code but it seems like everything one might need might be there.

• 5.  Re: Probe distribution questions

Posted 06-16-2012 12:49 AM

With regard to the first question...

I thought that the Raw Configure window would automatically prompt to choose between the config file and the data file if the data file property of the probe was filled in. Maybe it is not quite that simple. Can you verify that the data file is listed in the probe properties list when you click on the robot in Infrastructure Manager?

Perhaps it depends on the file type you used for the data file in the package? It might try to avoid opening binary data files.

• 6.  Re: Probe distribution questions

Posted 06-19-2012 03:58 PM

That is what I was thinking and hoping for also.

The data files is an ascii file that is included with the package. The probe property screenshots are attached.

The attached file looks like this:

# list of systems to be placed into maintenance mode with start and end times
    # each line should be in the format:
    #      hubname/robotname,start_time,end_time
    #
    #     where start_time and end_time are in the format:
    #          dd/Mon/year:HH:mm
    #
    # so, like this:
    #
    #  hub1/robot1,19/Jun/2012:03:45,19/Jun/2012:06:00
    #

• 7.  Re: Probe distribution questions

Posted 06-19-2012 04:20 PM

Try this...

Hold down the Shift key, right-click on the probe, and select Raw Configure... from the menu. That seems to behave differently than the usual ways of configuring a probe (the Configure... option in the menu and double-clicking) even though you end up in the Raw Configure window in those cases when no GUI is available.

• 8.  Re: Probe distribution questions

Posted 06-19-2012 04:23 PM
    I had tried that, but I tried again. Still get the cfg file.

• 9.  Re: Probe distribution questions

Posted 06-19-2012 04:46 PM

When I explicitly choose Raw Configure... from the menu, I get prompted to choose between the config file and the data file. When I choose Configure... or double-click, it goes straight to the config file. I tested this with a custom probe package.

• 10.  Re: Probe distribution questions

Posted 06-19-2012 05:28 PM
    Strange... I get no options, it just goes to the config file. I tried deleting the probe from the archive (and robot) and recreated it, deployed and got the same results... not sure what else to try

• 11.  Re: Probe distribution questions

Posted 06-19-2012 05:39 PM

But it works for you when you try it with a probe like ntevl, right?

• 12.  Re: Probe distribution questions

Posted 06-19-2012 06:11 PM
    ntevl on the same robot, if I do a raw configure, I get the choice pop up as expected

• 13.  Re: Probe distribution questions
    Best Answer

Posted 06-19-2012 06:32 PM
      |   view attached

For Question 1,  I believe that you will need to specify the datafile in the probe controller configuration.  You can test this via Infrastructure Manager: Right-click the probe, then select:"Edit..."  Add the datafile name (and path) to the "data file" section.

Then relogin to IM, and you should be prompted when using raw configure.  This would be added into the "Probe Definition" entry in the probe package. (See attached screen capture).

Around Question 2, I believe you can get the zip package for the probe by creating the package, configuring the correct sections, then adding the needed files in the archive from the Infrastructure Manager.  Once the package has been created, you should be able to access it via: $Nimsoft/Archive directly. It should be named the same as you created in the archive.

• 14.  Re: Probe distribution questions

Posted 06-19-2012 06:54 PM

OK... Got it.

So, a data file is only a data file if the extension is '.data' - I changed the probe definition to look for a .data file and now when I do a raw config, it askes which one I want. Perfect (though it would be nice if this was documented somewhere)

And whenever a package is created in the Archive, it also creates a deployable zip file in the $Nimsoft/Archive directory. Again, looks great but really should be documented.

Thanks for the help!

Marc

• 15.  Re: Probe distribution questions

Posted 06-19-2012 07:08 PM

I don't think the extension of the data file matters. I got it to work as both test_probe.dta and maintenance.txt. Some of the data files for Nimsoft system probes are *.pos or *.file rather than *.data.

• 16.  Re: Probe distribution questions

Posted 06-19-2012 04:00 PM
    No, it looks like Nimsoft needs the zip file to be password protected to work.