DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  Using communities for different user groups.

Posted Oct 01, 2014 07:03 PM

Hi, 

I would like to use communities or sites for different usergroups of our IT department. For instance I would like to have one community for the guys supporting our Internet site, one for the networking groups, one for the helpdesk and so fourth... I have succesfully created these sites and made the users members of their respective sites. 

But now I want to make these sites the default landing site for the users so that they don't have to login and select the site under the Go To option in the top right corner in the UMP. 

However I want to keep the private pages for the users so that they can put their own content there if there is something that they are setting up that does not need to be shared by everyone in that group. 

Furthermore I would like to make the community sites editable only by selected users so that I have some control over how they are set up. 

Any ideas as to how I can accomplish this? 

- Kjetil

• 2.  Re: Using communities for different user groups.

Posted Oct 01, 2014 08:48 PM

Hi,

To change the default landing page, you need to use a custom hook. There's one going around the forums that's quite old and here's one example too: https://www.liferay.com/marketplace/-/mp/application/17676547

I've also heard rumours that people have done the same with javascript and redirects.

As for your sites, I think you need to look at Roles and make your users "Site members" and the ones who can modify "Site administrators".

-jon

• 3.  Re: Using communities for different user groups.

Posted Oct 02, 2014 09:48 PM
    Hi,

Thanks for the replay, looks like what I need. I guess I just got tomorrows working day filled up :-)

- Kjetil

• 4.  Re: Using communities for different user groups.

Posted Oct 07, 2014 04:59 PM

We use the custom login in class that john linked to works well you will just need to play with the setting in the portlet-ext.properties file.

Site Owner  (can do everything)

Site Administrator (add remove  users to site)

Site Member (basically a guest for the site)