DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  Methods available to create a Web Based Visio View in the UMP

Posted Apr 21, 2011 06:07 PM

Community,

I have recently been using custom dashboards and placing images and links etc.... on a page to get a Visio like view page that we can give to each customers UMP web login that will depict our equipment thats in their datacenter. This is to much to maintain when the sites are adding servers and users frequently. What other methods could we use to accomplish this view besides Custom Dashboarding and Dynamic Views?

Thanks,

Jarrod

• 2.  Re: Methods available to create a Web Based Visio View in the UMP

Posted Apr 21, 2011 06:48 PM

I used to use [and recommend] the Dashboard Designer when the prospect/customer had a small number of sites they needed to map out, furthermore, my recommended approach was to always use dashboard objects and links within the designer and not actually map things out on top of visio diagrams (as backgrounds) since that method just didn't scale well.

Nimsoft just went GA with a new product that offers Layer 2 autotopology that should be a good fit here - check this out:

http://www.nimsoft.com/solutions/nimsoft-monitor/network/rca-topology-manager

Dustin

• 3.  Re: Methods available to create a Web Based Visio View in the UMP

Posted Apr 21, 2011 06:56 PM

Thanks Dustin, I seen this in the press release and was hoping it would be benefital. Thanks for the link, if  you have any more pics or a live demo that would be awesome.  With this Topology Manager, Could we use this without doing a discovery? Our servers are on the customers network and I only want to have it display our systems.

• 4.  Re: Methods available to create a Web Based Visio View in the UMP

Posted Apr 21, 2011 07:51 PM

I just pinged your rep and let him know you were interested in a demo so you should see something from him shortly.

As far as discovery goes, you can limit the range to avoid going outside of your specific scope if that's what you're concerned about? You could also set it up to run on demand so you don't have to run it 24X7?

A demo should help clear up these types of questions.

Dustin

• 5.  Re: Methods available to create a Web Based Visio View in the UMP

Posted Apr 29, 2011 05:44 PM
    Do you have any video demo or recorded webex session on that ? Is this another licenseto acquire?

• 6.  Re: Methods available to create a Web Based Visio View in the UMP

Posted May 02, 2011 08:20 PM

I have been testing this new discovery and topology mapper and it seems to work pretty good.  You do need to license it and it also does require the discovery to be running. however you do not need to manage devices or anything of that nature as I have seen alarms pop up on the topology map that are coming from a probe that I have manually set up which I like as there are just some probe that I do not like to auto populate with discovery info.  There are some feature I would like to see especially when using a admin account with multiple topology maps I would like to be able to choose the probe or origin to see instead of all of them on one canvass.

Hope this helps.