DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  How to export/import SLA calculation-rules?

Posted Sep 28, 2014 03:13 PM

Hi, we are in the proces of upgrading from NMS/UMP 6.2.x to NMS/UMP760 and, as usual, problem arise with installing UMP.This seems to be a never endig story. UMP Installation log says: all succefull, but wasp will not start-up and is spitting a lot of java-acadabra in the log that I can not understand.

So upgrading Nimsoft means always starting from scratch. That is no fun but I can live with that, needing to rebuild/config UMP. What realy annoys me is that there is no export/import function for SLA calculation. I would expted that beacuse it is a parts of the NMS configuration. A rather simple feauture/function that can export and improted SLA calc. into a new and fresh installation. Something like the export and import of dashboards. Yes it need some customazation afterwards but that all in the game when upgrading, I think.

The complex and time consuming re-creation of SLA rules with sometimes more then 100+ SLO-targets can not be exported and imported as far as I have seen. And the combined SLM database of NMS and UMP makes this not very easy - nb. I suppose it is lving there somewhere.

Is there a way/workaround/script to export and import SLA calculation rules. Or do I miss something here.? If someone can give me tip or trick, please respond otherwise I will be bussy againg for the next week recreating all the necessarry SLA's before I can publish our dashboard to our customers.

Note: will there ever come a time that UMP can be upgraded without a headache for weeks?

Best reagrds

Ashley Pietersen

• 2.  Re: How to export/import SLA calculation-rules?

Posted Sep 28, 2014 04:11 PM

Hi,

I'm currently working on automatic creation of SLAs so I've been looking into this some. I'm at home now so can't have look at the queries I have, but as it all pretty much happens in the DB, all you need to do is recreate the definitions in your new database.

I wouldn't go as far as saying you can export / import, but pretty close. The good news is (in some cases), that the qos calculations do not make use of the device id, cs id, device metric mess. I'd say what you have to do includes something like this (disclaimer: off the top of my head, so might need checking :smileywink:):

1. create your qos calculation and sla calculation profiles if you've defined custom ones.
    2. take a look at S_SLA_DEFINITION table. You'll need to insert stuff here in the new DB. The columns should be pretty self explanatory
    3. take a loo kat S_SLO_DEFINITION. You'll need to insert here and link to proper SLA ids that you've just created. It will require some logic, as your SLA IDs probably wont match the ones that you had in your previous DB. I imagine this step will otherwise be pretty simple, depending on you've set up your SLAs
    4. take a look at S_QOS_CONTRAINTS. These you'll need to link to the SLO id's you created by inserting into the S_SLO_DEFINITION table. Here you'll need to use qos-name, source and target from your previous DB and also the thresholds etc, operating periods etc.

Having taken care of that, you'll have a bunch of SLAs. After that you'll probably want to group them and link them to proper accounts

To link to accounts, have a look at CM_ACCOUNT_SLA. You'll need accoutn id and SLA ID

To create groups, take a look at S_GROUP_SLA and S_GROUP_DEFINITION.

That might be all, then again it might not :smileyhappy:

-jon

• 3.  Re: How to export/import SLA calculation-rules?

Posted Sep 28, 2014 04:34 PM

Hi John,

Thansk for the fast reponse. I am not realy familiar with database scriptin and so, only simple querries and statement I can do some. Automatlically creating SLA's would be a great feature. Hopefully I can see some of your results later on in this forum  For now I thik I need to rebuid the SLA's manaually, because.just finished my last attempt to upgrade from existing database, no luck.

Have no more time to experiment, need to get my dashboards up and running before tomorrow morining. Unfortuantely without any SLA data.

Thanks anyway, and I will look more in detail what you posted about database and SLA_definition and looking for a way to inject them in the new database.

AshleyP

• 4.  Re: How to export/import SLA calculation-rules?

Posted Sep 29, 2014 12:53 PM

Hi Jon,

I took a look in the (obsolete) database and found the tables you have mentioned. Did an export (with MS SLQ server Management Studio) to a xls spreadsheet to see what came out of it. The result looks pretty straghtforward, I think, allthough with some errors because of ???. I will try an real export/import (old database -> new databse) during our next maintenace-period wednesday, after I make a snaphot of the vm or backup of the database. Keep you posted here about the results. Thanks!

Note: we use MSSQL server 2008r2.

- Ashley

• 5.  Re: How to export/import SLA calculation-rules?

Posted Sep 29, 2014 05:14 PM

okay, just be aware that the id links will need to be reworked :smileyhappy:

• 6.  Re: How to export/import SLA calculation-rules?

Posted Sep 29, 2014 05:20 PM

Understood!  :-)

• 7.  Re: How to export/import SLA calculation-rules?

Posted Oct 05, 2014 12:10 PM

hi Jon,

I have tried to export and to import the db-tables via the MS Sql Studio Management tool. Unfortunately I got several error messages related to validation and permission etc. So I finaly decided to create new SLA's in the new database. it would be nice to add it as an standard feature in the Nimsoft package. Thanks for your tips and responses sofar.

validations.png

Best regards

Ashley

• 8.  Re: How to export/import SLA calculation-rules?

Posted Oct 05, 2014 08:19 PM

Yeah this is what I was discussing earlier, You can only copy so many fields. basicly the slo_id and qos_id you can never copy, and you'd have to fix manually the new created IDs.

-jon

• 9.  Re: How to export/import SLA calculation-rules?

Posted Oct 05, 2014 08:55 PM

Hi Jon,

Ok, I understand , but I expected the import-functoion would treat slo-id or any other read-only fields to leave empty or fill it with a Null that. As said, I am not a db-specialst. :-) Thanks