DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  maintenance_mode-Probe: How to block/suppress Informational alarms.

Posted May 28, 2015 05:14 PM

Hi,

we made our first step with the new maintenance feature. We saw and read in the documentation that alarms with level 5,4,3 and 2 (critical, major, minor, and warning) are suppressed by nas probe during a maintenance period of a server/device. But all Informational (level 1) alarms are passing and are available in alarm console (IM, UMP).

Is it possible to block/suppress the Informational alarms, too?

Thanks for your feedback

• 2.  Re: maintenance_mode-Probe: How to block/suppress Informational alarms.
    Best Answer

Posted May 29, 2015 01:38 PM

I've talked to some people, and that is how the maintenance mode is supposed to work   I don't know why, but the specific comment in the code is "INFORMATION and CLEAR alarms are ALWAYS allowed to pass."  I've asked around for a reason, and the person I think knows is out of the office today.

as a work around, you could create a specific auto operator profile that would block informational alarms from that device at the same time.  I know that's not a really good suggestion, but it is all I have right now.

Jim Perkins

CA Technologies

Product Owner, NAS.

• 3.  Re: maintenance_mode-Probe: How to block/suppress Informational alarms.

Posted May 31, 2015 04:13 PM

Hi Jim,

thanks for your fast reply. Could you please provide us with the answer from this person when he came back to office.

Should I raise an idea for this?

It would be great if the NAS probe can suppress all alarms, perhaps with a special keys e.g. suppress_all_alarms = 1

Thanks

Olaf

• 4.  Re: maintenance_mode-Probe: How to block/suppress Informational alarms.

Posted Jun 01, 2015 01:39 PM

I('m still researching this on my end, but it is a good question.

Can you please provide more information to me on why blocking the information alarms is important?  Usually, users do not take specific actions on informational alarms, and I can see why receiving an informational alarm may be useful for verifying that a particular device is now ready to remove from maintenance.

Jim Perkins

CA Technologies

Product Owner, NAS.

• 5.  Re: maintenance_mode-Probe: How to block/suppress Informational alarms.

Posted Jun 04, 2015 03:19 PM

I found the definitive answer as to why informational alarms can not be blocked.  The reason informational alarms are not blocked is because alarm life-cycle alarms are all informational alarms.  These are message used by the NAS to change the life-cycle state of existing alarms.  If they were blocked, historical alarms on a device in maintenance mode could not be managed while the device is in maintenance.

Jim Perkins

CA Technologies

Product Owner, NAS.

• 6.  Re: maintenance_mode-Probe: How to block/suppress Informational alarms.

Posted Jun 09, 2015 05:28 AM

Hi!

Thanks for the research, well. thats for my opinion not optimal designed, e.g. the default in process-probe for a downed process is "informational", therefore is something "unmaintenanced" what should be, nice idea but not splendid executed.

cheers

Matthias