DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  Collect the Alarms from the Dr. Nimbus utility.

Posted Aug 10, 2015 04:27 AM

Dear All,

We are using the Dr. Nimbus utility version 1.5.3.

We can see many alarms, after selecting 'alarm' etc in subject of 'message sniffer' under the Dr.Nimbus utility.

How can we collect/download these alarms ??

• 2.  Re: Collect the Alarms from the Dr. Nimbus utility.

Posted Aug 10, 2015 06:36 AM

Hi,

I don't believe you can do this with Dr. Nimbus. You'd probably have to go for a custom script / tool to achieve it.

-jon

• 3.  Re: Collect the Alarms from the Dr. Nimbus utility.

Posted Aug 10, 2015 10:35 AM

These "alarm" subject messages are the events that ultimately drive virtually all the alerting in UIM. alarm_enrichment reads these, enriches them, and then re-posts them with a subject of alarm2. Then the nas reads those and acts on them. The two things nas does that would be helpful I think are that they are written to a local SQLite database (files are in the nas directory) and if you have the NiS Bridge option enabled in your nas then these events are also getting written out to that database to into the "alarms" table. There's also a transactions table though I don;t recall the exact name. Shouldn't be hard to find though.

-Garin

• 4.  Re: Collect the Alarms from the Dr. Nimbus utility.

Posted Aug 10, 2015 02:05 PM

The tables for transactions are NAS_TRANSACTION_SUMMARY and NAS_TRANSACTION_LOG, the latter containing all event. There are some differences compared to Dr. Nimbus though:

1. Transaction log contains also items other than alarm messages: assignments, acknowledgements, etc.
    2. I believe transaction log doesn't log "clear" messages if they don't match the suppression pattern of an alarm (this might be dependent on automatic acknowledging of clear level messages on nas though, not sure)
    3. Message converted to alarm naturally contains different set of fields.

But true, they may be helpful if they contain all the information required.

-jon

• 5.  Re: Collect the Alarms from the Dr. Nimbus utility.

Posted Aug 11, 2015 02:29 AM
      |   view attached

Here's a small utility for a commandline subscriber. I wrote it quickly so there's not much in terms of error checking etc, but in normal circumstances it should do the job. Requires .NET 3.5 and robot on the machine where it's run, and connectivity to a hub. Just extract it somewhere and run it.

It accepts these parameters:

-subject     The subjects you want to subscribe to. Default value is "alarm"
    -ip          IP of hub machine. Default value is 127.0.0.1
    -port        Hub probe port. Default value is 48002
    -showdata    This is a switch. If defined, shows message data. If neither this or -showheader is defined, shows data anyway.
    -showheader  This is a switch. If defined, shows message header. If 
    -multiline   This is a switch. If defined, prints message/header in multiline format. Default is false.

Press x at anytime to stop subscribing and exit the program.

-jon

Attachment(s)

zip
    subscriber.zip   88 KB 1 version