DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  NAS script to sync distsrv

Posted Nov 03, 2009 06:00 PM

The distsrv can be configured to forward packages to another distsrv, but it lacks a true replication feature to stay  in sync even when packages are deleted.  We use two distsrv probes, and they have a primary-secondary relationship.  We always make changes in the primary distsrv, but we want users to be able to use either for distributing packages.  Over time, the forwarding feature in the distsrv has improved greatly.  Older versions would only forward the latest version of a package, but distsrv 4.80 provides an option to address that.  Now the only thing it does not do (of the things I want) is delete packages automatically.

Fortunately, deleting packages can be done with a callback to the distsrv.  I created a NAS script, which I am attaching to this post, and it looks at the archive list for both the primary and secondary distsrv.  It assumes that any packages that are missing from the primary but present on the secondary should be removed.  If you use it, make sure to put in the Nimsoft addresses to your distsrv probes at the top.

Enjoy!  Let me know if you have any feedback or improvements.

-Keith

• 2.  Re: NAS script to sync distsrv

Posted Jul 04, 2012 12:50 PM

Thank you for this.

I have updated it with some minor things for our environment that possibly could be useful for others aswell, so attaching my updated version. Basicly, then changes are:

• Changed names from primary/secondary to master/slave(s)
    • Added support for multiple slaves
    • Added fix to handle empty version or build
    • Changed behaviour to delete package on slave if same version but build mismatch [1]

[1]: From my experience, when people forget to increase the version, and the build is increased (it increased automatically), the distsrv won't replicate the updated package. In this case, it seems to be a good idea to delete the package on the slave, and let master re-sync it.

Regards,

Anders Synstad

Basefarm AS

• 3.  Re: NAS script to sync distsrv

Posted Aug 15, 2012 11:51 PM

Worked with Jim Christensen to resolve some issues with "nil" responses. Here is an update to the script that works for me.

• 4.  Re: NAS script to sync distsrv

Posted Sep 04, 2014 02:49 PM

Thanks guys, you made my day :-)

I was wondering why a broken version still got deployed on a buch of machine after I have long removed the probe from the archive. Just learned that the probe will stay on the remote distsrv. Your script greatly reduced the effor to remove the broken version from ALL our 9 distribution servers.

Kudos

Stefan

• 5.  Re: NAS script to sync distsrv

Posted Sep 12, 2018 06:50 PM

I've updated this script to run against the ADE. NAS Script to sync ADE