DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  Max size on a database

Posted Aug 31, 2012 12:31 PM

Hi,

I'm wondering if there is any reccomended max size not to exceed on a Nimbus database?

• 2.  Re: Max size on a database

Posted Aug 31, 2012 12:43 PM

Some of our large clients run DB at several TB, its more about the hardware sizing and optimization of the DB.

I have attached a guide here on DB best practise and th install guide which also has information on hardware sizing.

Attachment(s)

• 3.  Re: Max size on a database

Posted Aug 31, 2012 05:23 PM

Just for fun on MS SQL 2008 R2 some hard limits are:

• Database size: 524,272 terabytes
    • Filegroups per database: 32,767
    • Files per database: 32,767
    • File size (data): 16 terabytes
    • File size (log): 2 terabytes
    • Rows per table: Limited by available storage
    • Tables per database: Limited by number of objects in a database

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143432.aspx

I think the largest I have seen is around 2Tb. ~500Gb is a fairly common sort of range. 

Anyone else want to throw in some real world numbers? Whats the bigest Db anyone out there encounterd? Was it MS-SQL/My-SQL/Oracle?

• 4.  Re: Max size on a database

Posted Sep 02, 2012 07:27 PM

Biggest I've seen is about 1.3 TB....sql server had 64 cores, 64gb of RAM and some pretty fast storage, mind you.

Multi-threading in the data engine is a must in these sort of throughputs (insert rate was approx 6500 msg/sec if my memory serves me right)

The speed of the storage is probably the most important factor, or rather the likely bottleneck.

Then there's always multiple data engines....

• 5.  Re: Max size on a database

Posted Oct 18, 2012 03:25 PM

Our SLM database is currently just under 1TB, but we have done some number crunching on size when we have deployed robots to all the servers, and start to enable QoS on all the stuff we want to graph, and the results are in the double digit TBs.

So we estimate to be needing a database of about 20TB.

Exactly how we are going to solve this hasn't been entirely figured out yet, so good ideas are welcome.

Regards,

Anders Synstad

Basefarm AS