DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  Create a Page Report with 100+ Perf Report Designer Views

Posted Aug 04, 2014 11:59 PM

Hello, I have to create a Analytical report for one of our clients. I created the PerformanceReports Designer Graph Layout with one Specific Machine with the metrics we need to display in a graph for last quarter. 

I have ~ 160 machines that I need to run the report on. 

We tired using Jasper iReport but that crapped out when we went past 20+ days on the 160 machine set in the report. 

I then created List Views and that worked but now need to do the graphical representation displaying 4 QoS metrics on for each machine since April to June. I have the list of 160+ machines.

Is there an easy way to use the PRD View I created and generate a html or xml page that will list all 160 machines on one page instead of doing a New Page, Add portlet and then specifying the PRD graph I created for that one machine, then changing the Host for each...?
    I tried using the PRD with the Filters but that ends in just a mess of a graph. It's not easy to view at all. 

• 2.  Re: Create a Page Report with 100+ Perf Report Designer Views

Posted Aug 05, 2014 06:26 AM

Could you create a group in USM and attach your PRD as a Report to that group? That would give you the specific metrics for each machine with just one click as opposed to many. Its not all the data on one page, but its better than what you are currently doing I believe.

• 3.  Re: Create a Page Report with 100+ Perf Report Designer Views

Posted Aug 06, 2014 06:29 PM

Bryans suggestion is the best as I have used custom reports in the groups and it works great if your perf report is setup properly.

• 4.  Re: Create a Page Report with 100+ Perf Report Designer Views

Posted Aug 07, 2014 12:43 AM

But that would only produce the PRD view for the one machine selected correct? Not the full 160+ machines?

I figured out that when you assign a custom PRD to the group and run the report against the machine selected it automatically populates the report with the machine selected data. 

I need to figure out a way to run this PRD against 160+ machines all on one page, so I can then print to PDF and share with the client. 

• 5.  Re: Create a Page Report with 100+ Perf Report Designer Views

Posted Aug 07, 2014 10:25 AM

I know it's not an easy solution, but what I usually do when I need long PRD reports, is I create a template for one machine, export the XML and then use a Perl script to create the same for all necessary machines. Unfortunately I don't have any "one" script for all, it's a bit of manual labor.

-jon

• 6.  Re: Create a Page Report with 100+ Perf Report Designer Views

Posted Aug 08, 2014 01:09 AM

Okay, can someon pleae tell me how do I create a PRD report and have it display QOS_Metrics based on the host that is selected in the USM tree view and have it as an available report to display in the Reports Drop down menu? 

How do you create the template of the PRD report by not having to specify the specific host but a variable?

I don't see any documentation on how to do this .

I'd like to try the 2nd option that was suggested but I have my PRD graph created but its for 1 specific box. How now do I convert it

to load the values based on what machne is selcted in the USM Group?

Thank you.

• 7.  Re: Create a Page Report with 100+ Perf Report Designer Views

Posted Aug 08, 2014 07:23 AM

If you look at the default report in the PRD designer (USM Dynamic Report Templates/Server Performance) you will see a generic filter of a souce that most likely doesn't exist in your environment. I believe the key is to lay out the report as you see fit and then provide a bogus filter that won't return anything. This should allow the report to load correctly from the USM. Attached is a screenshot of the default report.

dynamic_report_usm.png

• 8.  Re: Create a Page Report with 100+ Perf Report Designer Views

Posted Aug 09, 2014 12:56 AM

Ok thanks Bryan. That worked. I created a graph of what I needed saved that PRD View and applied it to a USM Group. Now with the host selected and click the report button that PRD is displayed. 

My question now is, at Jon. You mentioned: 

-----------------

I know it's not an easy solution, but what I usually do when I need long PRD reports, is I create a template for one machine, export the XML and then use a Perl script to create the same for all necessary machines. Unfortunately I don't have any "one" script for all, it's a bit of manual labor.

-jon

---------

I under stand this approach. You would then export, copy paste each section for each machine and replace the HOST with the list of machines. I can do this in perl. 

My other thought was, when your viewing the report on the host selected, I can then change the time range which I need it from April to Jun. Then there is an "Generate Chart URL" button option which gives me something like this:

http:// 10.10.10.10:80  /qoschart/jsp/standalone.jsp?def={'series':[{'color':'800000','sqt':'MACHINE1%257CQOS_DISK_USAGE_PERC%257CC%253A%255C','scale':'1','style':'line'},{'color':'ff','sqt':'MACHINE1%257CQOS_MEMORY_PERC_USAGE%257CMACHINE1','scale':'1','style':'line'},{'color':'333333','sqt':'MACHINE1%257CQOS_MEMORY_SWAP_PERC%257CMACHINE1','scale':'1','style':'line'},{'color':'8000','sqt':'MACHINE1%257CQOS_CPU_USAGE%257CMACHINE1','scale':'1','style':'line'}],'title':'CPU(Green), Mem(Blue), Disk(Red), Swap(Black)','time':'1396324800-1404187140'}

It would be MUCH easier to just change the MACHINE1 hostname with the additional 100+ host names and repeat this x times. 

My question here would be, once I have all the URLs to generate these reports for each box, how can I then create 1 HTML/XML file containing all these links and then display it on 1 page? 

I can then print to PDF and be done!:smileyvery-happy:

• 9.  Re: Create a Page Report with 100+ Perf Report Designer Views

Posted Aug 09, 2014 02:43 AM

Ok nevermind the "Generate URL to this Report" feature. There is a bug in that that doesn't like certain QoS metrics and it breaks.

So Jon with regards to editing the XML template file. How do you specify and an entire new table looking at a different machine?

The only thing I see are table names with RN_QoS_DATA_2345 then Table_id=5542

Is there an example you can give with say a base template export and how the xml group break up to the diffent machines for each graph? Do I need to reference each machine via it's assiciated Tabe ID # pertaining to that specific QoS metric or is there an easier approach to doing this? 

• 10.  Re: Create a Page Report with 100+ Perf Report Designer Views

Posted Sep 01, 2014 04:13 AM

We had a similar problem and my approach was to use LUA to generate the report XML and then import that. I attached the script as it is so it’s not directly applicable to your issue but it might be enough to help.