IT Process Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Reboot Servers

Posted Mar 15, 2017 09:05 AM

Hi,

How to automate reboot of certain list of servers in certain cycles. This is make sure that each server uptime should not increase 14 days.

I want to achieve this using ITPAM. Please suggest the task involved in this.

Regards,

Amala

• 2.  Re: Reboot Servers

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 15, 2017 09:19 AM

I would think the simplest method would be to use a script operator to issue the shut down commands through an agent.   For example for windows you can even call a remote machine through a command line so you may not even need an Agent:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770416(v=ws.11).aspx

• 3.  Re: Reboot Servers

Posted Mar 15, 2017 11:01 AM

Hi Mike,

Can you please provide suggestion how to orchestrate using PAM?

• 4.  Re: Reboot Servers

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 16, 2017 02:51 PM

I am not sure how to advise.  The simplest would be to create a process with a script operator and the command line option to restart the local machine and run it on a remote touchpoint.  For example this process would restart whatever server it was run on:

This would require agents on any machines you need to restart. 

Alternatively you could issue a remote restart command:

This process example would call a script operator and restart 'RemoteComputerName'

These are the very simplest of options, there are a number of other ways this could be accomplished such as through powershell as David Flores recommends below.   Which method is best for you greatly depends on your specific business use case.  For example:

If you only need to reboot one machine repeatedly then one of the above process examples above would accomplish that;

If you need to reboot a specific machine that will not be the same everytime you will need to use dynamic values and your script would look something like:

shutdown /[r|s] /m + \\ + "Process.RemoteComputerName"

where you are determining the remote machine to be rebooted and setting that as a dataset value "RemoteComputerName" earlier in your process.

• 5.  Re: Reboot Servers

Posted May 03, 2019 06:06 AM

Hi,

I also need to automate server restarts. But I would like to make sure that no processing initiated by process automation is running on that server.

Would you have any idea how to check this out?

• 6.  Re: Reboot Servers

Posted Mar 16, 2017 02:37 PM

Amala,

My suggestion would be to create a process with a script operator to run a powershell script that calls a text file(leaves room for other servers to be added/removed). Place a schedule and calendar, set your timeframe and any exemptions, and then call your process as needed. Good thing about Orchestration is that you can do this task in so many ways. I'm just illustrating a quick process that I've used in the past.