IT Process Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Start process

Posted Jul 13, 2017 11:00 AM
      |   view attached

Hi ,

I have two task defined in pam process. one is to set task1 (spectrum Device in MM mode) and task2(set Ehealth device disable polling).

I defined that if task1 failed it will raise a request ticket to owner group. Here in failed case , how to start the task 2 after the ticket is resolved. Please advice how to design this and suggest best way to achieve this.

Note : Screen Print attached.

Thanks,

Amala

• 2.  Re: Start process

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 13, 2017 11:06 AM

Can you please elaborate on how your process is failing? 

What you have designed doesn't look wrong.

If the Spectrum operator is successful it starts the ehealth operator; but if the Spectrum operator fails it starts the "failed" operator to open the Service desk case, which if successful would then start the ehealth operator.

Where isn't this working?

• 3.  Re: Start process

Posted Jul 13, 2017 11:28 AM

the next operator (task2) should be in wait state and start once the ticket is resolved. 

• 4.  Re: Start process

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 13, 2017 12:26 PM

The key point to remember here is that the Create Service desk ticket operator is only performing that one action, opening a ticket in Service Desk.  If operators after the ticket creation need to be waiting on that Service Desk ticket before proceeding, you will need to build a check of the status into the process itself.

In this example:

1. If the Spectrum operator fails, it creates a Service Desk ticket,

2. The delay operator cause the process to wait,

3. The Check_SD_Status reaches out and checks for the SD Tickets status,

4. If the "Status" is "Closed" the process moves onto the eHealth Operator,

5. If the "Status" is not "Closed" the Process moves to a Reset Operator which resets the Check_SD_Status operator, then feeds back into the Delay operator to wait and then checks the status again.

Things to note,

A. There are 2 custom Ports on the Check_SD_Status operator, - the Custom Port dialog box shown above is the Not Closed and has a expression "Status != Closed"; the other custom exit port is set to  "Status = Closed"

B. "Status" will be a value you are getting back from Service Desk, and I am pretty sure that the status are returned as a numeric value.  The expression I used in the screenshot above is for example purposes only.  You will need to determine the specific requirements based on the information Service Desk returns from the check.

Please see Service Desk documentation for more details.

C. Please be careful with the Delay operator - having a large number of processes that are constantly pinging service desk for a status update will stress both Process Automation and Service Desk. 

The Delay could be a fixed value, 15 minutes for example; or you could add a calculation that sets a variable used for the Delay timer, where the Delay is short at first, but progressively lengthens the interval between checks as time goes on.

D. This is the simplest process I could think of to accomplish this.  It could be done in a number of other ways, for example it could be wrapped in a loop, or you could add calculation operators and other activities such as emailing a reminder to the Owner of the Service Desk case.

• 5.  Re: Start process

Posted Jul 13, 2017 02:05 PM

I think alternate approach could be to use the Monitor Event Operator instead of the Delay operator & Check Status operator. Then create another process which could be called from Service Desk on ticket resolution that uses the Send Event operator.

• 6.  Re: Start process

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 13, 2017 02:36 PM

Thanks Lindsay!   Great suggestion on an alternative that doesnt require repeated querying of the Service Desk Web service.