Automic Continuous Delivery Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Anyone have done WebSphere Application deployment using ARA

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 06, 2018 12:12 AM

Hello Expert,

I am new bee to ARA ( i have used CA RA for 3yrs) , we have customer who would  be using ARA (CDA) to perform the WebSphere application and DB2 deployment. I would like to know if any one can share any best practices available or share any customer implementation template/guide for WebSphere and DB2 deployment using ARA.

Deployment Process would involved following steps: 

WAS:

Install Flow:

Download the Package->Stop Application->Backup Application->Uninstall Application->Deploy Application->Map Module ->Shared Library->Save Configuration->Start Application.

DB2: 

Download the Package(.sql scripts)->Connection to DB instance->Execute Scripts in sequence-logout.

Any input or guidance would be appreciated.

Thank You

Sachin

• 2.  Re: Anyone have done WebSphere Application deployment using ARA

Posted Jul 10, 2018 03:49 AM

duoho01 If you have time to share a little bit experience for the websphere project that you have finished

ambsa03  you can discover all the action you need by install the action pack below,

IBM WebSphere Action Pack  

Hope that helps  

• 3.  Re: Anyone have done WebSphere Application deployment using ARA

Posted Jul 10, 2018 05:41 AM

Hi ambsa03

Actually I don't have a complete best practice but several tips &tricks only.

WAS Install flow:

- Almost every steps you need are available on our IBM WebSphere Action Pack as mentioned by traha02 (except some configuration steps which I guess you need to edit specific files on target server).

- The Uninstall & Install Application action already has OOTB Backup and even Rollback feature (by exporting the current application to a ear file) so maybe you don't need the backup step. However, if you need to save the downtime, I suggest to disable this OOTB backup feature and then backup it even before stop application step.

- There is a template action pack which can help to create your Component flow entirely if you are using Component type Websphere: IBM WebSphere Action Pack Templates (I don't use it actually, but it's a good reference).

DB2: 

- I prefer to use JDBC Action Pack  for any DB deployment and reuse the connection string from the WAS application to DB itself (but not sure it's applicable on your case)

- To execute Scripts in sequence you may need to keep a naming conversion on your scripts name. Then using File Find action (from Filesystem Action Pack) to find all .sql files and store them in a VARA object (which is the output of the action, I think it also sort the files in alphabet order). Then using Execute JDBC script to execute them on a Foreach workflow (the sequence in Foreach workflow is based on the order of your record in output VARA object).

- Also there is a template action pack for JDBC component which you can refer: JDBC Action Pack Templates  

Hope this can help!

Regards,

Hoang

• 4.  Re: Anyone have done WebSphere Application deployment using ARA

Posted Jul 16, 2018 02:04 PM

Hi ambsa03,

Was the information provided by Hau & Duong help in resolving your inquiry or do you have any other questions regarding the informations?  If the provided information resolved your post inquiry, please use the "Mark Correct" button for the comment.