Layer7 API Management

View Only
  • 1.  Request ID for ssg log statements

Posted May 13, 2020 04:58 PM

Hello,

Maybe a simple question... 

Is it possible to modify the SSG log pattern to add some type of correlation id to ALL log statements?  I ask because I can see how you could add a the request ID context variable to custom policy log statements, but I'd like to be able to correlate surrounding log statements when policy executes.

Thanks,

Alejandro

• 2.  RE: Request ID for ssg log statements

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 13, 2020 08:02 PM
    Sadly it is not a simple question. I'll try and explain it here and hope I don't muddy the waters too much...

First I need to explain one of the key differences between "log" and "audit" with regard to service/message processing. Message processing triggers log events that are tagged as "Audit" or "Log" category. This is reflected in the "Add Audit Details" assertion's option to send the detail to Audit or Log. When a log event is tagged as "Log" then it will go directly to the log system via the log sink. When it is tagged as "Audit" then the event is buffered until the policy is completed. At policy completion, the value of ${auditLevel}, which starts as INFO but may be bumped to WARNING,  is compared with the value of the audit.messageThreshold cluster wide property and, if it matches or exceeds the property (Default=WARNING) then an audit is triggered. When that happens all of the logs that were tagged as Audit are sent to the log sink and an audit entry is added to the database (by default) with all of the associated logs. Thus you should see all Log and Audit events in the main log (ssg_0_0.log) because the log sink is, by default, configured to filter both Gateway Log and Audit categories.

I'll use the following policy to illustrate what I just described. It triggers an audit event using the Audit Messages in Policy assertion to set ${AuditLevel} to WARNING then sends a log event to the Audit category followed by one sent to the Log category before returning a text/plain response:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <wsp:Policy xmlns:L7p="http://www.layer7tech.com/ws/policy" xmlns:wsp="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/ws/2002/12/policy">
        <wsp:All wsp:Usage="Required">
            <L7p:CommentAssertion>
                <L7p:Comment stringValue="* Illustrate log correlation"/>
            </L7p:CommentAssertion>
            <L7p:AuditAssertion/>
            <L7p:AuditDetailAssertion>
                <L7p:Detail stringValue="This is an audit tagged log event"/>
            </L7p:AuditDetailAssertion>
            <L7p:AuditDetailAssertion>
                <L7p:Detail stringValue="This is a log tagged log event"/>
                <L7p:LoggingOnly booleanValue="true"/>
            </L7p:AuditDetailAssertion>
            <L7p:HardcodedResponse>
                <L7p:Base64ResponseBody stringValue="SGkh"/>
                <L7p:ResponseContentType stringValue="text/plain; charset=UTF-8"/>
            </L7p:HardcodedResponse>
        </wsp:All>
    </wsp:Policy>

When I hit this policy with curl I see the following in ssg_0_0.log:

2020-05-13T16:32:49.768-0700 INFO 644 com.l7tech.server.policy.assertion.ServerAuditDetailAssertion: -4: This is a log tagged log event
    2020-05-13T16:32:49.775-0700 INFO 644 com.l7tech.server.message: Processing request for service: Test Service [/test]
    2020-05-13T16:32:49.782-0700 INFO 644 com.l7tech.server.policy.assertion.ServerAuditDetailAssertion: -4: This is an audit tagged log event
    2020-05-13T16:32:49.786-0700 WARNING 644 com.l7tech.server.message: Message processed successfully

Notice that "This is a log tagged log event" is the first entry, even though it followed the "This is an audit tagged log event" in the policy. That is because the Audit entry was buffered until the end of the policy execution. If I disable the Audit Messages in Policy assertion then all I will see in ssg_0_0.log is the "This is a log tagged log event" entry, since an Audit is not triggered.

Now, when an audit is triggered, all of the associated Audit tagged log events are subjected to the audit.log.service.detailFormat cluster wide property. *This* is where things get interesting. You can add ${requestid} to that cluster wide property and now every Audit tagged log will have the request ID added for correlation. Note that any logs that were sent *directly* to the log (i.e. not through the Audit system) will NOT have the request ID in them. I also add it to audit.log.service.headerFormat and ​audit.log.service.footerFormat which control the "Processing request for service..." and "Message processed successfully" entries:

audit.log.service.detailFormat = [${requestId}] {0}: {1}
    audit.log.service.headerFormat = [${requestId}] Processing request for service: {3}
    audit.log.service.footerFormat = [${requestId}] {1}

Now when I hit the service with curl I get the following in ssg_0_0.log:

2020-05-13T16:46:55.957-0700 INFO 863 com.l7tech.server.policy.assertion.ServerAuditDetailAssertion: -4: This is a log tagged log event
    2020-05-13T16:46:55.976-0700 INFO 863 com.l7tech.server.message: [0000017210444d92-13] Processing request for service: Test Service [/test]
    2020-05-13T16:46:55.978-0700 INFO 863 com.l7tech.server.policy.assertion.ServerAuditDetailAssertion: [0000017210444d92-13] -4: This is an audit tagged log event
    2020-05-13T16:46:55.978-0700 WARNING 863 com.l7tech.server.message: [0000017210444d92-13] Message processed successfully

This now has the request ID on all of the Audit tagged log events, but does NOT have it on the Log tagged event.

This is a very effective way to get correlation in the logs, however it does require passing everything through the audit system which has a fair amount of overhead. Since we always recommend not auditing to the database in production, this can be a bit tricky and requires the use of the Audit Sink Policy to simply return true every time and to disable auditing to the database, which then means that system and admin audits will get lost unless the audit Sink Policy is set to fail when those types of audits are detected (which can get noisy in the logs). Also, if you require request ID in entries going directly to the log then the only way I know to do it is to add ${requestid} to the Add Audit Details assertions.

I hope this helps.

------------------------------
    Jay MacDonald - Adoption Architect - Broadcom API Management (Layer 7)

• 3.  RE: Request ID for ssg log statements

Posted May 14, 2020 12:26 PM
    Thanks you!  This was useful.  I wasn't too far off from what you are suggesting.  My setup:
    • No audits to DB
    • All audits to log
    • Logs are swept into a log aggregator (like Splunk)
    • Added custom "Add Audit Details" assertions for other interesting context details/debugging that we are interested in capturing

Your addition of setting the other CWP's for audit format is what I was looking for.

As you said though, there is a lot of noise from assertion execution.  Is there a way to mute this out?  For example, the following isn't too useful:

1055 com.l7tech.external.assertions.comparison.server.ServerComparisonAssertion: [0000017213e81e1c-284] 7103: At least one comparison value was null

But, I am interested in statements like the following:

2020-05-14T11:07:17.754-0400 WARNING 266 com.l7tech.server.policy.assertion.ServerHttpRoutingAssertion: [000001720e5bc850-21ee5] 4042: Problem routing to http://xworldclockapi.com/api/json/utc/now. Error msg: Unable to obtain HTTP response from http://xworldclockapi.com/api/json/utc/now: Unknown host: xworldclockapi.com: Name or service not known

Any strategies on managing the signal to noise here?

Thanks,

Alejandro

• 4.  RE: Request ID for ssg log statements
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 14, 2020 01:39 PM
    You can explicitly set the severity of specific error codes by setting the audit.setDetailLevel.<level> cluster wide properties. Note that you will need to enter the property in the Manage Cluster-Wide Properties window manually - it does not show up in the drop down (which I always thought was silly). Anyway, set audit.setDetailLevel.FINE to 7103 to reduce the severity of the 7103 error code to FINE. Assuming audit.detailThreshold is still INFO (the default) then that will prevent 7103 from being pulled by the audit system when an audit is triggered. The audit.setDetailLevel.<level> properties are all space delimited lists, so you can add as many codes as you need to suppress. Quite a few of our customers do this to reduce the noise in the logs.

Note: I usually set audit.detailThreshold to FINE in my development Gateways, hence why it is in that screenshot.

Overriding audit levels is described in http://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/layer7-api-management/api-gateway/9-4/security-configuration-in-policy-manager/tasks-menu-security-options/view-gateway-audit-events.html#concept.dita_27c098926969f9efe634be628edc022b548ed4d5_overrideOverridetheAuditLevel

• 5.  RE: Request ID for ssg log statements

Posted May 14, 2020 02:15 PM
    Ah, that's what I'm seeking.  I see that there are ranges of audit message types.  However, is there a reasonable prescribed list that are safe to lower the noise level on?  I could scrape older logs, but knowing what others are doing would be awesome!

Thanks again, this is very useful.

Alejandro

• 6.  RE: Request ID for ssg log statements

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 14, 2020 07:56 PM
    I am not aware of any such list, although I usually end up with about 4 or 5 after doing a scrape of logs. It shouldn't take very long to find the annoying ones... :) Post here what you do end up with and perhaps we can start another topic about this.

• 7.  RE: Request ID for ssg log statements

Posted May 14, 2020 02:27 PM
    Sifting through my logs, I see that some SOAP related log statements appear to be outliers?  Example:

2020-05-14T14:23:10.849-0400 INFO 1074 com.l7tech.xml.soap.SoapUtil: request's soapaction did not match any operation in the wsdl. will try to match using the document instead