Layer7 API Management

View Only
  • 1.  Temporary failure in name resolution

Posted Dec 03, 2019 03:16 PM

Hi,

I am facing problem of  "Temporary failure in name resolution" for one of the API Services. Back end team reported it's not the End point issue. 

Below is the log :

Problem routing to http://service-name.prod.online.domain.com//ui/v1/. Error msg: Unable to obtain HTTP response from http://service-name.prod.online.domain.com//ui/v1/: Unknown host: service-name.prod.online.domain.com: Temporary failure in name resolution

coming to the details i have three nodes which are having the same configuration. But i am seeing this routing failures in only one node.Please help me to resolve it.

------------------------------
    Thanks & Regards,
    Narasimha Reddy P,
    [Senior Consultant].

• 2.  RE: Temporary failure in name resolution
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 03, 2019 06:02 PM
    It sounds like a DNS issue, on the problematic gateway server, just run the nslookup command to check if you can resolve the target hostname,

nslookup service-name.prod.online.domain.com

if you cannot resolve it, check with your network team.

Regards,
    Mark

• 3.  RE: Temporary failure in name resolution

Posted Dec 07, 2019 06:27 AM
    Hi Mark,

Thanks for your answer.

i can able to resolve to the IP address for the target host name.
    i can see 4000 + requests for the API service ,this error is occurred only 2 times in the all requests and i already mentioned i don't see any these type of errors in the other nodes (Which are getting more requests than this node) 

do you have any idea of what may be cause for this ? . is this   may be  back end issue or network issue ? 

Thanks & Reards,

Narasimha Reddy P.

[Senior Consultant]
    [Quinnox]
    [Karnataka]

• 4.  RE: Temporary failure in name resolution

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 08, 2019 05:12 PM
    Hello,
    1. have you compare the /etc/resolv.conf on good gateway node(s) and bad gateway node? are they completely the same?
    2. are all the gateway nodes located in the same LAN?
    3. ask your network team to double check if any intermittent network issue, or any performance issue with the DNS server.

Regards,
    Mark