Layer7 API Management

View Only
  • 1.  Unkown host error

Posted May 13, 2021 07:24 PM
    Hello All,

I'm trying to connect azure endpoint from gateway, when I'm using the correct DNS in route assertion, I'm seeing error as 

Could you please let me know if anyone faced similar issue before? If I do nslookup DNS server able to resolve it.

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Unkown host error

Posted May 14, 2021 07:36 AM
    Edited by Ronald Dsouza May 14, 2021 07:36 AM
    1. Did you import the HTTPS certificate?
    2. DNSLOOKUP did you do on the gateway shell or on your local machine
    3. Try pinging from Gateway and see if you get a response.
    4. Most common problem is you dns setting on the gateway is not correcty (verify by login as root and cat /etc/resolv.conf)

• 3.  RE: Unkown host error

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 14, 2021 12:26 PM
    Edited by Dustin Dauncey May 14, 2021 12:27 PM
    "Unknown Host" is a DNS error, not a Gateway error. Assuming that your name servers are set correctly in the Gateway, then the most common root causes are the following:

* a typo in the hostname
    * the DNS servers aren't working properly
    * network issue between Gateway and the DNS servers
    * if it's a new hostname then perhaps it hasn't propagated fully yet across the DNS servers

You will want to verify that the hostname is correct, then may need to engage your networking team to resolve, as they may have a network issue between Gateway and DNS servers, or an issue on the DNS server itself.

You could also look to workaround the problem perhaps by changing the name servers on the Gateway to use different DNS servers.

------------------------------
    Senior Technical Support Engineer
    Broadcom

• 4.  RE: Unkown host error

Posted May 14, 2021 12:44 PM
    Thanks Dustin and Ronald!

Able to resolve the issue, For some reason Gateway name servers are able to resolve the IP address without the entry in organization DNS entry. 

after the entry it's resolved

Thanks!

• 5.  RE: Unkown host error

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 14, 2021 12:52 PM
    Hi Prem, that's good to hear. Just a point of clarification... there is no "resolving" of IP addresses, connections to IP addresses are direct and don't go involve DNS. DNS is only involved when trying to resolve a hostname entry. So I suspect if you used the IP address instead of hostname and it worked, then that makes sense because by using the IP address instead you basically skipped DNS involvement. That means the actual DNS issue is likely still present for that hostname.

Senior Technical Support Engineer
    Broadcom