Layer7 API Management

View Only
  • 1.  layer 7 version 9.0.01 and Apache 2.4.x

Posted Aug 03, 2020 10:40 AM
    Hi Folks,
    Currently we have our  Layer7 Api Gateway version 9.0.01 running on Linux RHLE 6.8 and Apache 2.2.

For business reasons we are asked to upgrade to Apache 2.4 and would like to know if this will negatively impact Layer7 operation.
    If no concerns, I appreciate guiding me to a document which show any Apache Settings I need to keep close watch on to ensure Layer7 functionality remains intact.

Stay well & Safe!

------------------------------
    Best wishes,
    Adnan Saleh

• 2.  RE: layer 7 version 9.0.01 and Apache 2.4.x
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 04, 2020 03:05 AM
    Edited by Christopher Hackett Aug 07, 2020 05:35 PM
    Hello Adnan,
    I am not sure why you have installed apache in the first place: the Gateway does not require any webserver on that same machine, Apache or NGINX.
    I am assume that you using the Apache as an ingress point for port translation (80-8080 and 443-8443). If so, there is a better way, via the IPTables: the firewall of Redhat

Anyway, the Gateway is a standalone product and does not care about the version of applications that connect via protocols such as http or https: it just cares that the protocols are respected. So , in that light, you can put any version of any webserver in front of it.

Just one word of caution, Layer7 Support (of which I formerly was part of and agree on) suggests to NOT install any additional software on the machine that has the Gateway to minimise any performance impact that the third party app could have.

Another word of caution, Version 10.0.00 of the gateway came out which means that version 9.0  is one step away from not being supported anymore, make sure you upgrade your Gateway version to at least 9.4.

ALSO, the redhat version you are using is end-of-life for RedHat.

What are you using? the VM version of the gateway?

I hope all this helps,

Maurizio Garzelli
    APIIDA
    APIIDA Principal Consultant
    https://apiida.com

• 3.  RE: layer 7 version 9.0.01 and Apache 2.4.x

Posted Aug 28, 2020 11:24 AM
    Thank you Maurizio. This info is very helpful. We are in the process to having Apache 2.2 removed from the server.
    Best wishes,
    A.

• 4.  RE: layer 7 version 9.0.01 and Apache 2.4.x

Posted Aug 04, 2020 03:14 AM
    HI Adnan

Another thing to keep in mind is the end of support for RHEL 6 on 30 November 2020 (https://access.redhat.com/articles/4665701).  

Solution Architect
    HCL Technologies

• 5.  RE: layer 7 version 9.0.01 and Apache 2.4.x

Posted Aug 28, 2020 11:30 AM
    Thank you Robbert. Yes we are aware of the end of support for RHEL 6. Do you know if this version of Layer 7 works with RHEL 7 or higher?
    Thank you in advance for your input.

Best wishes,
    A.​

• 6.  RE: layer 7 version 9.0.01 and Apache 2.4.x

Posted Sep 01, 2020 05:43 AM
    Adnan

It has been a while since I ran version 9.0 of the gateway, so you may want to check it first, but I have run 9.3+ on RHEL 7.4 and higher without issues. 

However, be aware that you will need to have be running the software version of the gateway to be able to deploy 9.x gateways on RHEL 7.x - Broadcom does not supply RHEL-based virtual appliances going forward.

Regardless, I would encourage your organisation to consider upgrading your gateway version sooner, rather than later.    Apart from the possible obsolesence mentioned by Maurizio already, the later versions of the gateway introduce some very useful additional functionality (e.g. a java scripting assertion), 

So far, I have not seen any backward compatibility issues, but without knowing your environment, that cannot be guaranteed. Make sure you test before committing your production platform(s).

Kind regards

Robbert van Beveren
    Solution Architect
    HCL Technologies
    United Kingdom

• 7.  RE: layer 7 version 9.0.01 and Apache 2.4.x

Posted Sep 01, 2020 10:09 AM
    ​Thank you Robbert. To ensure I get this right: It is not recommended to upgrade the  OS of the existing Layer7 server but instead start fresh with a new RHLE 7.x OS installation then install Layer7 and migrate the existing configuration from old server to new one?

Thanks again for your feedback.

Best wishes,
    A.

• 8.  RE: layer 7 version 9.0.01 and Apache 2.4.x

Posted Sep 01, 2020 03:32 PM
    Adnan

I just had a look at the documentation, and for GW 9.0, the highest RHEL version mentioned is 6.7.  RHEL 7.x is only mentioned from GW 9.1 onwards,.

Given the amount of effort you will need to go through to upgrade the OS, and verify that GW9.0 remains completely functional, I would remove that doubt around functionality from the equation by upgrading the gateway before considering the OS upgrade.  RHEL 6.x can used to run any version of the 9.x gateway, all the way up to 9.4 CR5.

For what it is worth - I just did a very quick test of RHEL 7.8 / Java 8 181 / MySQL 5.7 and Gateway 9.0.  The gateway service did not start.  Given the number of components involved, you may eventually find a combination that works, but it is likely to be fragile, and unlikely to get supported by Broadcom.

At the risk of repeating the same theme - best upgrade the gateway version first - at least to 9.1, ideally higher, and then look at upgrading the OS from RHEL 6 to 7.

Regards

Robbert van Beveren
    Solution Architect
    HCL Technologies
    United Kingdom