Layer 7 API Management

Expand all | Collapse all

Any way to set value of request.ssl.clientcertificate without cert auth?

Jump to Best Answer
  • 1.  Any way to set value of request.ssl.clientcertificate without cert auth?

Posted 18 days ago
    Is it possible at all to populate the value of request.ssl.clientcertificate without actually performing certificate authentication?

We've got a fairly large Policy Fragment that does a lot of work parsing, validating and doing some magic for client cert authentication. However, it uses the variable request.ssl.clientcertificate so I can't use the fragment without using client cert auth.

What I'm trying to do is build a little functional testing tool for us to use internally. I just want to be able to take a base64 certificate, decode it as X509 and feed it through that Policy Fragment to make sure I get the expected end-result. That logic is pretty straight forward BUT I'm hung up because of the request.ssl.clientcertificate not being settable :(.

Was hoping maybe someone knew a magic way in the API GW to get that context variable set with a given credential.

We could change the fragment but that'd be a pretty big regression test and change to some existing policies. So was hoping to avoid that.

• 2.  RE: Any way to set value of request.ssl.clientcertificate without cert auth?

Posted 18 days ago
      |   view attached
    Dear Chris,
    if I understand your case correctly it is possible. 

First convert context variable you want using Encode/Decode Assertion in Target select X509 Certificate then use Retrieve credentials from Context Variables Assertion and store to a message type variable. Then authenticate this message aganist the FIP identity provider you want.

I uploaded a sample policy attached, hope it helps.
    Policy

Attachment(s)

xml
    certificateTest.xml   2K 1 version

• 3.  RE: Any way to set value of request.ssl.clientcertificate without cert auth?

Posted 14 days ago
    Thanks for the input. Unfortunately that still doesn't solve the issue since ${request.ssl.clientcertificate} appears to be null.

Since the actual request.ssl.clientcertificate variable contains no value then the Included Policy Fragment fails since it is explicitly required there.

Wish there was a way in the API GW to force an override of the "built-in" variables. Make this a lot easier :).

• 4.  RE: Any way to set value of request.ssl.clientcertificate without cert auth?

Posted 12 days ago
    Edited by Leandro Dantas 12 days ago
    You can use the http routing  assertion to accomplish it.

1. Create a private key in gateway to be your client key/cert 
    2. Create a service to work as your client (e.g.: /test/client-service )
    2.1. Add a Route via HTTP(S) assertion
    2.2. Right-click the assertion -> Select Private Key
    2.3. Select your client private key

Then, when gateway route to your service, it will send the client certificate in the request.

------------------------------
    Sr. Consultant Services
    HCL Enterprise Studio

• 5.  RE: Any way to set value of request.ssl.clientcertificate without cert auth?

Posted 12 days ago

Not sure I follow how this would work? I don't have keys, only public certificates in PEM or Base64 and can't create keys for them. This is essentially to test "smartcard" log in since there's ~150 issuers and we don't have test cards from all of them - or when troubleshooting a specific cert issue reported by users being able to see if the cert passes all our "checks" or not.

If the API GW creates the key/cert pair I'm only testing that particular one and not the actual end-user certificate.

• 6.  RE: Any way to set value of request.ssl.clientcertificate without cert auth?
    Best Answer

Posted 12 days ago
    Oh, I see. 

You can create a new cert variable and use this new variable in your policy.

For live code, you would need to copy request.ssl.clientCertificate certificate to this new variable. It will have a small penalty on execution because there is no direct way to copy the cert between variables.

if want to give it a shot, decode the base64 from a source ( a string variable or the ${request.ssl.clientCertificate.base64} ) to this new variable.

Sr. Consultant Services
    HCL Enterprise Studio