Layer7 API Management

View Only
  • 1.  connecting with a MS SQL server cluser

Posted Jun 05, 2020 06:52 AM
    So I'm trying to get a JDBC connection running from L7 to a MS SQL server 2016 database. 

In the test environment I got it all working. The MS SQL server runs on version 14.0.3257 RTM but I can remember that a colleague noticed that the test ain't a cluster (hope to get answer on it next week).

So I thought this is going to be easy for production. Unfortunately it isn't since its not working. I changed the server name to the production environment and I still get connection issues. I know its running on its own instance but I can't specify the instance. This was also not needed in the Test environment.The specs look almost the same. The only difference is that test is running on the Microsoft SQL server developer edition and production on Microsoft SQL server enterprise edition: core-base Licensing.

The connection string that works in the test environment
    jdbc:l7tech:sqlserver://SERVERNAME:1440;DatabaseName=databasename

so if I change the severname en database name to production environment i get the following error (connection refused). 

JDBC connection error Production environment

Any idea why or how i can troubleshoot what the issue might be? The error is pretty general.

Cheers

• 2.  RE: connecting with a MS SQL server cluser
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 08, 2020 05:13 PM
    Your screen shot is too small and blurry to read, but if you are getting a "Connection refused" error and everything worked at another DB endpoint, then I doubt the problem is in the Gateway. Check any ACLs you have in the database, as well as firewalls, etc, that might be in the way.

------------------------------
    Jay MacDonald - Adoption Architect - Broadcom API Management (Layer 7)

• 3.  RE: connecting with a MS SQL server cluser

Posted Jul 06, 2020 04:11 AM
    ​ ​Hey Jay,

The problem was that the sql instance wasn't running on the same port in production changing the port number fixed the issue however with that a new issue came forward.

L7 seems to connect with a SQL user (SQL authentication) while my colleague prefers to use AD users (in SQL management studio its called windows authentication). Is there a possibility to connect through windows authentication instead of SQL.

Many jdbc info tells me to add the property integratedSecurity=true"; to the connection string however this didn't work for L7. Is it possible and if so how?

• 4.  RE: connecting with a MS SQL server cluser

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 06, 2020 09:34 AM
    Hello Adriaan,

We use a SQL user like sa, not a windows user for this type of set up.  I would suggest opening an enhancement request if needed. 

Support Engineer
    Broadcom

• 5.  RE: connecting with a MS SQL server cluser

Posted Jul 06, 2020 10:29 AM
    hey Matthew,

Sad to hear. Apparently it saves a lot of user management on the ms sql clusters (hence the preffered authentication by active directory).

Where can I put up a enhancement request?

cheers

• 6.  RE: connecting with a MS SQL server cluser

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 06, 2020 04:27 PM
    1) Log in to https://community.broadcom.com/ideation/allideas?Page=1&CategoryKeys=09f1ac90-f043-4b70-8b2d-412d2f9afe4c&StatusKeys=&Sort=MostRecent
    2) Select 'Add'

Support Engineer
    Broadcom