Layer7 API Management

View Only
  • 1.  API Portal Migration from 3.5.x to 4.3.x

Posted Sep 02, 2019 05:58 AM
    Edited by Diligent Sep 02, 2019 07:23 AM
    Hello Guys,

We are planning to move from API Portal 3.5 CRx to API Portal 4.3.x. One of the concern is
    1) whether API Portal 4.3.x supports CMS existing in API Portal 3.5.x ?
    2) if yes, how can API Portal 3.5.x cms will be migrated to 4.3.x ?
    3) Does API migration from 3.5.x to 4.3.x migrate existing API secret key as is ?
    4) Does api portal 4.3.x uses openjdk or oracle jdk and which version?

Thanks,
    Ankush

• 2.  RE: API Portal Migration from 3.5.x to 4.3.x
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 05, 2019 02:26 AM
    Dear Ankush,

1) whether API Portal 4.3.x supports CMS existing in API Portal 3.5.x ?
          no, new portal does not support legacy CMS. In documentation it says 3rd party CMSs can be integrated, but it requires lots of components and integration efforts. 
          Not having custom pages is the greatest weakness of new Portal in my opinion. 

2) if yes, how can API Portal 3.5.x cms will be migrated to 4.3.x ?
        N/A

3) Does API migration from 3.5.x to 4.3.x migrate existing API secret key as is ?

If it works yes, but we faced lots of errors during migration, so we had to write some code to migrate it from old environment using PAPI. 

4) Does api portal 4.3.x uses openjdk or oracle jdk and which version?

New Portal uses docker containers, each container has its own system, but as far as I know inside containers they use openjdk. 

Regards

• 3.  RE: API Portal Migration from 3.5.x to 4.3.x

Posted Sep 05, 2019 11:57 AM
    Portal 4.3.x you can customize some pages. It's better than 4.2.x where you can customize only some style.

https://docops.ca.com/ca-api-developer-portal-enhanced-experience/4-3/en/publishers/customize-api-portal-pages

------------------------------
    Sr. Consultant Services
    HCL Enterprise Studio
    ------------------------------

• 4.  RE: API Portal Migration from 3.5.x to 4.3.x

Posted Sep 06, 2019 06:22 AM
    Hi Ozan,

Thanks for the clarification !!
    I have couple of more queries wrt new features of 4.3.2/1 :-
    a) "Custom role based permission"
    - does it imply that we can create custom roles in portal and assign access accordingly? while going through documentation I found description of 5 roles only.

b) "API Key Encryption"
    - It says portal db keys and and secrets are encrypted. If you are using the OAuth Toolkit (OTK), data will be decrypted prior to sync with the OTK database. Does it implies that data will be encrypted while it is stored in database or will be it encrypted even when it is being consumed by client or some other application?

Thanks in advance,
    Ankush

• 5.  RE: API Portal Migration from 3.5.x to 4.3.x

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 08, 2019 01:31 AM
    Dear Ankush,

a) "Custom role based permission"
    - does it imply that we can create custom roles in portal and assign access accordingly? while going through documentation I found description of 5 roles only.

>>  I haven't tested 4.3.2 yet, so I cannot comment on it. 
    b) "API Key Encryption"
    - It says portal db keys and and secrets are encrypted. If you are using the OAuth Toolkit (OTK), data will be decrypted prior to sync with the OTK database. Does it implies that data will be encrypted while it is stored in database or will be it encrypted even when it is being consumed by client or some other application?

>> In Portal DB it is stored as encrypted, in Gateways it is stored plaintext. So if Gateway is in DMZ, it will better to store Gateway's OTK DB in internal LAN and can only be accessed from Gateway.