Layer7 API Management

View Only
  • 1.  CA API Microgateway

Posted May 14, 2019 10:14 AM

We are trying to understand the differences between an API Gateway and the Microgateway. I have referred to the following page Differences between CA Microgateway and Traditional Gateway - CA Microgateway - 1.0 - CA Technologies Documentation , however still have few queries as below:

1. Does CA Microgateway captures analytics and can it be made available in the portal ?

2. Can CA Microgateway be integrated with Portal - say for exposing the APIs deployed on microgateway

3. Can CA Microgateway integrate with CA SSO ?

• 2.  Re: CA API Microgateway

Posted May 15, 2019 01:07 AM

My understanding is that the edge gateway will be enrolled with the portal, enforce authentication,  and collect metrics. APIs are managed as portal published services. APIs are routed to the backend service. 

If more granular logic is required at the endpoint level, you can route from the edge gateway to a micro gateway to perform the additional logic. This architecture separates the API managaent/proxy layer from the endpoint level logic. 

• 3.  Re: CA API Microgateway

Posted May 15, 2019 02:52 AM

Thanks rmkennell for the response. If I understand correctly, your view is that the APIs that are deployed on MG will also be deployed on the edge gateway for analytics/portal integration etc.

I am trying to understand the use case for a microgateway. If we are thinking of additional logic at the MG level, we can also have an internal facing gateway (along with the edge gateway on DMZ) that can execute a lot more assertions and can host internal facing APIs also. What would be the need for a microgateway in such a case ?