Layer7 API Management

View Only
  • 1.  How to customize response of an API by consumer ?

Posted Feb 16, 2017 10:18 AM

Hi 

We would like customize response of an API, depending of consumer.

The customization consists of filtering or not the attributes of a response, according to the consumer (identified with his key API for example)

1) Example for 'bronze' consumer :

Request : GET  http://petstore.swagger.io/v2/pet/10

Response : <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?> <Pet> <category> <id>0</id> <name>Item 10</name> </category> <id>10</id> <name>doggie</name> <status>available</status> </Pet>

2) Example for 'gold' consumer :

Request : GET  http://petstore.swagger.io/v2/pet/10

Response : <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?> <Pet> <category> <id>0</id> <name>Item 10</name> </category> <id>10</id> <name>doggie</name> <photoUrls> <photoUrl>string</photoUrl> </photoUrls> <status>available</status> <tags> <tag> <id>0</id> <name>string</name> </tag> </tags> </Pet>

in sample2, the attributes <photoUrls> and <tags> are filtered

in sample2, the attributes <photoUrls> and <tags> are added in response

in fact,  the same request have sent but there is two differents responses : "Gold" consumer have more data about pet/10

I saw an equivalent in product "CA live API Creator" on pre-sale, but there is a way with API Gateway (9.x) and API Portal Developer (3.5) ?

Could someone please help me  ?

Regards

David

• 2.  Re: How to customize response of an API by consumer ?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 16, 2017 06:29 PM

Try following policy fragment (put it BEFORE the assertions that could raise error)

At lease one folder 

\_ All folder 

|    \_ compare assertion (to test 'bronze' consumer)

|    |_ Customize Error Response assertion ( to set error message for 'bronze' consumer)

\_All folder

|    \_ compare assertion (to test 'gold' consumer)

|    |_ Customize Error Response assertion ( to set error message for 'gold' consumer)

• 3.  Re: How to customize response of an API by consumer ?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 16, 2017 07:24 PM

Sorry, it seems you're talking about normal response, not error response, you can use the same structure, but use "Return template response to requestor" assertion to replace Customize Error Response assertion, and put it to the end of policy.

• 4.  Re: How to customize response of an API by consumer ?

Posted Feb 17, 2017 03:07 AM

Thanks Mark for your response and time

I have think about this solution but there is a codding issue.

I may have misunderstood myself and I apologize. We are looking for a solution with the least codding possible, relying on the base of the Gateway API. Maybe this base is not quite suitable for doing this?

First, we do not want to manage our API for each consumer. It is a question of adapting the response of the API according to a category of consumer (bronze, gold) It is necessary to distinguish the category of our consumers associate the consumers X and Y to the category 'bronze' and the consumer Z to the category 'gold'

Q : Is it possible to do this via the portal for example, and if so, how? or anyelse  issue ? We would like administer the link consumer and category by UI and not codding, of course.

Secondly, adapting a response with a 'Return template response to requestor' assertion requires to transform a response beforehand, and requires a lot of effort. The API is no longer simply a proxy but become an application response, which will have to evolve according to the provider (and its life cycle), and categories of response to be made (when the category is associated with the consumer). I guess this is possible widely with XLST assertion but we do not want to have to code. If provider add a new data in his service, API must be managed this, by code, and category by category, it is tedious and not very agile. And required a new deployment of API. We thought more for an RBAC like management but for data.

Not having found anything about my request in the CA API Gateway, knowledge base and here, cases on the community site, I hope again this solution really exists.

Q : Has anyone ever implemented this project ?

Regards

David

• 5.  Re: How to customize response of an API by consumer ?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 22, 2018 02:20 PM
      |   view attached

The Gateway has the capability of taking a value in a header, payload, external call, etc to assert what type of user the consumer is. Based on that then it can be used to remove elements with out the need to use XSLT as the Map Value assertion and the Run for Each can run through as many tags as you like. I've attached a sample policy that will take a response and based on the level (gold,silver,bronze) either leave the response payload along or remove certain tags.

Sincerely,

Stephen Hughes

Broadcom Support

Attachment(s)

• 6.  Re: How to customize response of an API by consumer ?

Posted Nov 23, 2018 04:27 AM

Thanks Stephen

Its really ingenious

David

• 7.  Re: How to customize response of an API by consumer ?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 23, 2018 11:06 AM

David,

Did this his answer your question or do you need additional assistance?

Sincerely,

Stephen Hughes 

Broadcom Support

• 8.  Re: How to customize response of an API by consumer ?

Posted Nov 26, 2018 02:33 AM

Stephen, 

it 's OK for me. I think we can close this topic. 

Regards,

David