Layer 7 API Management

Expand all | Collapse all

Policy design for one-way SOAP operation

Jump to Best Answer
  • 1.  Policy design for one-way SOAP operation

Posted 09-16-2015 10:57 AM

How do I design a policy for a one-way SOAP operation, i.e. an operation that has no response?

I have to implement such an operation (given WSDL by another system) and based on the request I do a standard SOAP call (request/response) to another system. So I receive a request from system A, do a request on system B, get a response from system B and then? System A expects based on the WSDL no response. Should I just return a HTTP status code or an empty response? And is it even possible to send no response body?

Just to make clear what I mean with one-way operation, an example operation definition without "output" element:

<operation name="lockDocument">

<soap:operation soapAction="urn:lockDocument" />

<input>

<soap:body use="literal" />

</input>

</operation>

• 2.  Re: Policy design for one-way SOAP operation
    Best Answer

Posted 09-18-2015 11:39 AM

The Gateway will only transmit a response if a protected service provides one. So the first question is whether or not your protected service is sending a response message. If it is not then you should not have to do anything else to accommodate for that. If it is then you will need to catch it, suppress it, and return a different response (in this case, a blank response) using the Return Template Response to Requestor assertion.