AppWorx, Dollar Universe and Sysload Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Applications Manager 9.3 Upgrade Question - Banner Agent

• 1.  Applications Manager 9.3 Upgrade Question - Banner Agent

Posted Oct 20, 2020 01:48 PM
    I recently ran the upgrade steps for Applications Manager 9.3 (in our DEV environment) and loaded upgraded Banner (Ellucian) Agent components (to version 4). From previous versions of Applications Manager we have a script that will start the automation engine and its remote agent, followed by startup of the Banner Agent. That portion of the script (startso BANNER AGENT) now fails to start the Banner agent, echoing this error message: "agent BANNER did not start at /app/uc4/master/data/inst.pl line 5570."

I have found support site documentation suggesting an issue with Explorer's configuration of the JDBC login. In the Explorer, I cannot read the password being tried, but the userid isn't locked and if the password were incorrect, the account should well be locked by now. I have speculated on a change in the server name defined on this login, but that has been to no avail.

Another support site document suggested reviewing the AgentService<timestamp>.log file, however, that file appears to stop recording startup activity once the remote agent comes up. No mention of the Banner agent.

Are there any other ideas for troubleshooting this issue? Anything you might have would be helpful.

------------------------------
    Bob Fathergill
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Applications Manager 9.3 Upgrade Question - Banner Agent

Posted Oct 21, 2020 09:29 AM
    Hi Bob, I can only tell you how we are doing it, maybe it will help.

When we upgrade from V9.1.1 to V9.3.1 I upgraded the master, and remote agents. We have a  remote agent on our Banner jobsub system which the BAN* agents use. When I stop the remote agent they go into a service down, and come back when I start the remote agent. 
    I control the master, and remote agent starts in a script too where I SSH to where I need too using a key. 

After I upgraded the master, and remote agents I upgraded the RA Banner component. You need to review the compatibility pages for what version you need. I believe we did the newest 4.8. I found out there is a web, and noweb version. Support told me to use noweb. The loading of the jar went fine, and upgraded it from 3.6.1 to 4.0 I believe. Sometimes the upgrade will change things. Like it one time modified my jdbc, and programconnect logins. it went from SID to Server Name. So then I had to verify this, and change things.

The Banner agents use the jdbc, and programconnect logins, so make sure they are correct. And so is the agent Banner runtme options in the GUI. 

I know when you load the RA new version it something introduces new files in the Banner working directories. And even parameter changes so I like to review the docs. 

When we migrated to the new version I introduced a newer jdbc driver that was compatible with the V12.2 databases. 

It was a nice learning curve with the V9.3.1 changes. The new client RunClient.jar, and the user_keystore files, and all the good stuff that comes with Java compatibility.    

Be sure to turn on debug in the awenv.ini file, and also for your remote agent, and BAN agents. For those that is the check box.   

When I test I like to have debug on, shutdown the master/agents, clear the logs, and start fresh. Then test.. This way I don't have all of these zip and other logs in the way.  Gather the logs, and open a ticket. 

I hope this helps.   Good luck.  

Rich